The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-07-2024, 11:01 PM

Default How to proceed with humidifying previously not humidified guitar

Hi all,
I'm seeking advice on how to properly care for a Francisco Navarro student flamenco guitar that I recently purchased used in Denver Colorado. The former owner did not humidify the guitar that is several years old and was kept in case. I'm wondering if it's ok to start humidifying it here in Denver. Our winters are really dry, so it's going to probably soak up any humidity I give it. I use the oasis 01 humidifiers on my other guitars and was thinking to buy one for this guitar. What do you recommend? Thank you
Old 02-08-2024, 08:46 AM
Musical minimalist

Here's what I've done in the past - assuming there is sinking of the top etc and no cracks or brace issues.

Pull the strings and take all the tension off the top. Put the guitar on a stand in a small room (bathroom is probably ideal) Close the door and put a room humidifier in it blowing toward the guitar.

When you take your shower leave the door closed so the humidity stays high.

Use a straight edge to check the top regularly (every couple days) and when it comes back to where it needs to be, restring it and keep it properly humidified.

You'll also want to check for high or unseated frets that have popped when it was dried out.

Last edited by fitness1; 02-08-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reman3 View Post
Hi all,
I'm seeking advice on how to properly care for a Francisco Navarro student flamenco guitar that I recently purchased used in Denver Colorado. The former owner did not humidify the guitar that is several years old and was kept in case. I'm wondering if it's ok to start humidifying it here in Denver. Our winters are really dry, so it's going to probably soak up any humidity I give it. I use the oasis 01 humidifiers on my other guitars and was thinking to buy one for this guitar. What do you recommend? Thank you
You should run it by Edward at Victor Guitar. He is an incredible resource.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
You should run it by Edward at Victor Guitar. He is an incredible resource.

That is a good idea. I will be over there on Friday. They have a consignment guitar I am lusting after…
They are always super helpful.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Getting it up to proper RH is pretty much always ok. Going the other direction quickly can cause cracks.
It can take months for wood to settle in to a new environment. It might retain humidity quickly, but for the wood to form into a new shape, that can take a while.

I would not try to rush it. Going past the recommended RH will cause the wood to go from one shape to the opposite quickly. Wood does not like quick expansion and contraction. Even if the wood will not crack doing this you can loosen up braces. It will get there. Give it time.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
That is a good idea. I will be over there on Friday. They have a consignment guitar I am lusting after…
They are always super helpful.
Have fun! If you have not had chance to read it, you should read Edward’s book. It is really interesting.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Getting it up to proper RH is pretty much always ok. Going the other direction quickly can cause cracks.
It can take months for wood to settle in to a new environment. It might retain humidity quickly, but for the wood to form into a new shape, that can take a while.

I would not try to rush it. Going past the recommended RH will cause the wood to go from one shape to the opposite quickly. Wood does not like quick expansion and contraction. Even if the wood will not crack doing this you can loosen up braces. It will get there. Give it time.
Yeah, I would say this too. I’d simply put it in a humidified room that’s 40%-50% and let it come into its own over a few weeks. That’s the most stable way. If it’s really sunken, then I might put it in a case with a wet sponge in a ziplock bag with a few holes in it and when the sponge dries, re-check the guitar. I know my luthier would hang it in the shop for 2-3 weeks before even looking at it.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:01 PM

I don't have any classical guitars. I've been playing wooden acoustic stringed instruments since I was 10 years old. My instruments and I have been from the very dry climate of high elevation in northern NM to San Diego to North Chicago to Orlando to Idaho back to San Diego, then up to western Washington state then the much drier eastern Washington state

I didn't start humidifying anything until I made the last move to the sagebrush shrub steppe of eastern Washington. Four of my instruments spent 40, 50 and over 100 years totally unhumidified in a very dry climate. They now live in a pretty constant 45% RH and 70 F environment (except when I take them out to a gig, or to a jam, or camping, or to a festival). They're all (25) doing just fine.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Tip from fellow AGF'ers which I have found works great in 15-25% humidity environment in the mountains of Utah......Boveda humidity packs - I keep 3 of the packs in my cases - 2 in a cloth holder in the sound hole and 1 underneath the headstock. For maintenance I use the 49% packs - once they get dry, you just put them in a bowl floating in a sealed tub of water (like tupperware) until they absorb enough water, then switch them out with the ones in the cases once those are dry or stiff. Usually switch them about every 2 months during the winter. Easy and inexpensive and you don't have to worry about what the humidity is in the case, because the packs give off the water or absorb the water to keep things around 45-50%, and if it's a wood case, they will rehydrate as well, giving your guitar another source of water to keep things hydrated. If you think the guitar has been in a dry environment for awhile, you get the Rehydration humidity packs - I used them and they worked great...you can get Boveda packs on almost any music site or Amazon, and D'Addario sells them as well under their name.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical