The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-14-2022, 02:51 PM

Default For the Stellantis (MOPAR) fans: A Hurricane to blow by the Hemi.

The new Hurricane engine reads/sounds very promising. I'm surprised I haven't caught more discussion about it. 15% more efficient is impressive and it will also be a win for those who are at altitude and don't buy a turbocharged diesel.

I'm always on guard with any Chrysler/Jeep quality and reliability stuff but wish them the best. I understand the Mexican plant that's made Hemi V8s is making this, it starts out in the big Jeep SUV but will move to other vehicles.

Something else I read into this engine and then new GM 4 for light trucks and Cadillacs is some proof of the nonsense from people who think everything will be electric or their being some sort of conspiracy.

I wish them good luck with it.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:28 PM

I'm a MOPAR guy (RAM to be exact) and I can't wait for this engine. I was a huge fan of the original I6 (multiple Jeep TJ's in my case). The 3.6 Pentastar does the job well enough, but this is promising.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-15-2022, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm always on guard with any Chrysler/Jeep quality and reliability stuff
Mopar guy here.

I've had my best luck, and my most trustworthy vehicles have been Dodge, Jeep, and Ram products esp in the last few decades. I even had a (66) Chrysler 300 when I was but a young lad. That 383 would outrun my "rich" friends who had Camaro's and Mustangs.

Ram trucks regularly outsell Chevys these days and that 5.7 Hemi has been in nearly every platform and is an amazing powerplant, mine (with the 8speed) gets 22 MPG on the Interstate with 3 adults, some luggage and the a/c on.

My brother drives a 99 Jeep Wrangler anywhere he wants to go with that legendary 4.0 Inline 6. The Grand Cherokee's have been at the top of SUV's since day one.

I hate to see the 5.7 ever go away, but change is part of the industry.

So, yea. We're all watching this new powerplant.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
The 3.6 Pentastar does the job well enough
The Pentastar has already earned it's place in history.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
The Pentastar has already earned it's place in history.

Indeed it has. I thought I recognized your user name.
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m not particularly a Mopar guy, but my ‘68 Dodge Polar 500 with a simple 318 that we’ve owned since ‘08 is still going strong @ 80k miles.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’m not particularly a Mopar guy, but my ‘68 Dodge Polar 500 with a simple 318 that we’ve owned since ‘08 is still going strong @ 80k miles.
Nice......
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-15-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Not a mopar fan but I did own an old 91 Ram 1500 plow truck with high miles and it always started, no matter how cold, 4x4 never failed and the A/C still worked too! The poor thing's body just rusted away on me and I rarely drove it on the highway. When I finally sold it, it was still running and plowing fine although the fuel gauge quit working. A guy bought it and drove it 1.5 hours home with no problems.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Nice......
Thanks! Here she is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83F8C7EA-9600-4E33-AB66-D50865E12141.jpg (55.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-15-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Here she is...
Wow, that's in great shape.
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-15-2022, 07:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Wow, that's in great shape.
Yep, runs like a top! Likely, at some point in the future I’ll have the engine rebuilt...or maybe drop a hemi or hurricane under the hood. Lots of room in there. I’d be quite the sleeper!
Old 06-15-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yep, runs like a top! Likely, at some point in the future I’ll have the engine rebuilt...or maybe drop a Hemi or Hurricane under the hood. Lots of room in there. It’d be quite the sleeper!
For those who may have forgotten - or never knew - this is a Chrysler Hemi:

It's big, it's heavy, it's loud, its gas mileage is measured in tankerloads rather than gallons, and it's as un-PC a piece of machinery as has ever existed (with the arguable exception of the mid-60's Ford 427 SOHC)...

It's also 426 cubic inches (remember those...?) of total bad-to-the-bone American iron, whose actual output exceeded its OEM 425HP rating by 100-125 ponies, runs like a bat out of southwest Hades, can flirt with the magic 1K mark in pure race tune - and you can (legally!) perform regular maintenance/repair/modifications with a decent set of hand tools...

This is the one you want in your '68, Tom - just make sure you have a bulletproof drivetrain/suspension (and a set of sticky tires) to go with it; keep everything else stock-appearing, get a set of historic-vehicle plates (may or may not be available in your location), and leave the guys in the late-model muscle wondering what hit them when Grandpa's Sunday driver gets three or four lengths on them out of the intersection...
Old 06-15-2022, 08:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
For those who may have forgotten - or never knew - this is a Chrysler Hemi:

It's big, it's heavy, it's loud, its gas mileage is measured in tankerloads rather than gallons, and it's as un-PC a piece of machinery as has ever existed (with the arguable exception of the mid-60's Ford 427 SOHC)...

It's also 426 cubic inches (remember those...?) of total bad-to-the-bone American iron, whose actual output exceeded its OEM 425HP rating by 100-125 ponies, runs like a bat out of southwest Hades, can flirt with the magic 1K mark in pure race tune - and you can (legally!) perform regular maintenance/repair/modifications with a decent set of hand tools...

This is the one you want in your '68, Tom - just make sure you have a bulletproof drivetrain/suspension (and a set of sticky tires) to go with it; keep everything else stock-appearing, get a set of historic-vehicle plates (may or may not be available in your location), and leave the guys in the late-model muscle wondering what hit them when Grandpa's Sunday driver gets three or four lengths on them out of the intersection...
Haha! That’d be sooo cool and fun. It’d probably give this Grampa a heart attack! Likely, my wife and I will keep puttering along with the simple 318 2-barrel.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I'm always on guard with any Chrysler/Jeep quality and reliability stuff
As predicted by many when I bought it, my "supposedly super" Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Track engine lost a head gasket at 125k.

Having been warned, and having a previous record of 350k on my Explorer, 275k on my MBZ, and 250k on my little BroncoII (all sold in good running condition), I don't think I caused the gasket problem. I'm OK with Cummins, but not any gas engine in a Jeep/etc. product after that nifty experience.

Steam aside, I'm just the right age to have driven a couple of hemis in the early '70s, and a couple of big Chevys as well. It was the "slammed-me-back-in-the-seat-and-I-cant' steer" era
Old 06-16-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
As predicted by many when I bought it, my "supposedly super" Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Track engine lost a head gasket at 125k.
We put 2 transmissions in two consecutive Fords, went Mopar and haven't looked back.

They can ALL have issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic