The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Belt Clip Pre-Amp for LR Baggs Element

I have an Element pickup in my 2011 J45 (standard). This one just has the volume adjustment wheel, no tone.

The guitar does well with my basic setup - Boss Tuner into Baggs Para DI. I am looking for a belt clip pre-amp for open mic situations where you need to just plug and play but may want to dial in more mids/lows into a not-so-perfect sound system quickly.

Would the Baggs Gigpro do the trick? Any others out there that might help?

Thanks much!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Gigpro or the Fishman Platinum Stage. However, I see no need for either if you are already using a DI/Preamp.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM

The Gigpro is a useful mini-Para but if your Element is active and they're handing you a cable, I wouldn't worry about having that. The Gigpro just has a passive Bass, Volume, and Treble knob along with an adjustable gain. If you're using your PADI, you don't need it and if they're handing you a cable that that goes into a DI or a cable straight into the mixer, you don't need it.

I use a Mixpro (same idea but mixes two inputs) if I'm at an open-mic or something where they don't use DIs and I just need to boost my passive-pickup(s) to get them to the board without losing any quality.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks! I am just looking for something I can add on the fly when I am in a situation where the sound system is not that great and I would like to boost mids/bass.

Sometimes I find that when I plug in directly at an open mic (usually no time to do a real sound check), my guitar comes out with a lot of treble - the opposite of a J45. I would just like to tweak the sound as much as I can and hope for an improvement.

Seems like a Gigpro might help. If I have a coffee house gig where I play a set or two, I will use my Para DI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification