The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Default the future of acoustic guitars ?

Wow !

you'll even be able to specify the sound you want !

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...printed-guitar
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Future?

I don't think so. It's interesting as a proof of concept, but as long as there are dinosaurs like me around, there'll always be a market for real wood guitars.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM

plastic guitars have been around for a long time. i had one when i was a kid!

the process may work for the future design of guitars, but the material, plastic, most likely, will not even replace the carbon guitars of the present.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM

they can print more than just plastic now. I have been on the 3D printing band wagon a couple of years now
G&L S500
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Music soothes the soul!

The concept of "printing plastic" is lost on me. Maybe I'm just behind the times.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM

I'm too old and set in my ways for this type of guitar. But who knows !
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

I don't understand the "I'm too old" take on this. If tis was available, felt good in your hands and sounded great - and was priced right - then how the heck does you age matter?

Anyway, I'd give one a try. I'm certainly skeptical of the sound, but can't really judge until I hear one.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Well, for $3000 worth of plastic, you could actually have a darn good, real wood guitar. If you could print the guitar for $30 and have it sound like a $500 guitar, there might be something there worth pursuing. But $3000 in cost just to pay for the plastic? It would have to sound astoundingly good to be worth the cost of the plastic and then there would be no profit in making it.

I have done plenty of rapid prototyping using this kind of technology, so I understand how it works. In my experience, most of the time the cost is so high, it's more cost effective just to make the real thing. However, I am not making prosthetic devices, I am making parts for industrial rotating equipment. This technology certainly has its place, but it doesn't seem like guitar manufacturing is it.

I could change my mind tomorrow, of course...

- Glenn
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM

I love the smell, feel and sound of wood.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Well, for $3000 worth of plastic, you could actually have a darn good, real wood guitar. If you could print the guitar for $30 and have it sound like a $500 guitar, there might be something there worth pursuing. But $3000 in cost just to pay for the plastic? It would have to sound astoundingly good to be worth the cost of the plastic and then there would be no profit in making it.

I have done plenty of rapid prototyping using this kind of technology, so I understand how it works. In my experience, most of the time the cost is so high, it's more cost effective just to make the real thing. However, I am not making prosthetic devices, I am making parts for industrial rotating equipment. This technology certainly has its place, but it doesn't seem like guitar manufacturing is it.

I could change my mind tomorrow, of course...

- Glenn
The price will certainly decrease a lot over the years though. Remember when DVD players were $400 and 40 inch LCD TV's were well over $1000?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

There are two questions here - the first is whether this 3d printing technology could ever duplicate (sic) the Startrek style duplicator.

The second is whither the future of instruments made of rare and/or endangered tonewoods.

We are currently in a second "golden era of luthiery, funded largely by the baby boomer generation, and I'm not convinced that later generations will be as intrigued by the rare tonewoods that us old guys love, or the tonality that we seek.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Maccaferri would loved this !
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Wink

I think it is an interesting concept. I read on another forum where most "musicians" are over 50 years old. I also recall the guitar hero episode on South Park where Randy was demeaned by the boys for playing a real guitar.

I am too freaking old to understand this whole printing business and it sounds a bit godlike for my tastes so I'll stick with my good old wood guitars as I would think most of my over 50 brethren will too.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM

I seem to be at the right age to want a guitar that sounds good to me. I have had some very nice wood guitars in the past, and I now have a carbon fibre that, I feel, is their equal bothin sound and playability. I still like wood, but have been able to get to a place that I was able to judge without bias (other than sound). If it sounds good then I may have an interest. I have other qualifications of course, but it's about the sound first. The more I play the carbon, the more I like it. Fine guitars made of wood were exactly the same. This carbon thing should not be a case of "either/or", but more of now we have another option.
For those more conservative (or traditional), there are very nice instruments being built of of wood and have been for hundreds of years.
If it sounds good, then it's good.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 AM

I will never get one in place of a wood guitar simply because over time, wood guitar sounds better and all plastic ones I've seen and one that my 4 year old nephew owns sounds crappish after a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber