The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Default question about martin custom shop

hi guys

i'd like to order a martin by custom shop. on the web site i can choose a lot of features but i can't have the foward shifted bracing? isn't possible to have this feature on a custom shop Martin????

Thanks for the answers and sorry for my english! (google traslator!)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

For the most part, "Custom Shop" is just what they call it. While more flexible than the standard catalog, it's nothing like the service offered by my peers.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM

i saw the photos of your guitars! Fantastic!

i ask this information because on the web i can find Martin custom shop ordered by shop or single user with shifted foward pattern.........
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

There is quite an article on the Custom Shop in the latest Soundboard Issue (Martins free Magazine)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 AM

where can i find this magazine?????
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Are you ordering a D size guitar? Forward shifted bracing is not available on all body sizes.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM

ok ....The problem is that i am ordering a Om 28V without V shape neck and long saddle...So i would like to have an om28 with GE scallopped bracing without V shape neck and long saddle. In the Martin Custom shop page i can't choose any GE scallopped bracing...But around the web i can find guitar with this option ( MFG custom shop for example....)

Last edited by xana; 03-18-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xana View Post
ok ....The problem is that i am ordering a Om 28V without V shape neck and long saddle...So i would like to have an om28 with GE scallopped bracing without V shape and long saddle. In the Martin Custom shop page i can't choose any GE scallopped bracing...But around the web i can find guitar with this option ( MFG custom shop for example....)
I believe in an OM, the V and GE bracing are the same size, position, and scalloping.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Best would be to call a dealer as I've seen them order stuff that's not on the website.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xana View Post
where can i find this magazine?????
In Italy? Not sure! I didn't look but I wonder if they publish it on line? You could write Dick Boak a letter and see if Martin will mail you one. Any Martin Dealers in your area? Thats where I get mine.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 PM

thank you for the answers.....anyway now i am looking the specifications of OM28V and i didn't have noticed that this guitar has the standard X bracing....So if my goal is to have an OM28V without V neck and long saddle, my old custom order that i sent to italian dealer is correct!
And i think that if i wonder GE Bracing simply just re send new custom order with the voice "standard X bracing golden era" handwritten.....

P.s The order isn't yet confirmed....I am waiting to know the real price in EUR
Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM

The Vintage scalloping is different than the more pronounced GE scalloping.

Since you have to put the order in via a dealer, just make sure he/she knows you want GE.

Have you considered ordering an OM-21 with GE bracing as the "custom" change? Considerably lower starting point dollar-wise. It already has a non-V neck and the short drop in saddle, which sounds like what you want. And the new 2012 OM-21 already has an ebony fingerboard and bridge. The only thing you'd be lacking would be the herringbone trim and ivoroid. Otherwise it'll be virtually the same guitar - Sitka over EIR OM with (custom GE) scalloped bracing, mod-low oval neckshape, short drop-in saddle....

Give it a thought.

P.S. No forward shifted on the OM, since it was never rear shifted away... or so I was lead to believe by the OM fans at UMGF.

Last edited by kydave; 03-18-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
The Vintage scalloping is different than the more pronounced GE scalloping.

Since you have to put the order in via a dealer, just make sure he/she knows you want GE.

Have you considered ordering an OM-21 with GE bracing as the "custom" change? Considerably lower starting point dollar-wise. It already has a non-V neck and the short drop in saddle, which sounds like what you want. And the new 2012 OM-21 already has an ebony fingerboard and bridge. The only thing you'd be lacking would be the herringbone trim and ivoroid. Otherwise it'll be virtually the same guitar - Sitka over EIR OM with (custom GE) scalloped bracing, mod-low oval neckshape, short drop-in saddle....

Give it a thought.

P.S. No forward shifted on the OM, since it was never rear shifted away... or so I was lead to believe by the OM fans at UMGF.
...mmm if i start using custom shop page on martin site i can't choose an om21 like starting point...there are 18,28,35 ect ect....
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Completely forget about the thing on Martin's website. Talk to your dealer, have him/her give you a couple of prices:

One - starting with the OM-21 and making whatever changes you need to be happy. (for example - stock OM21: add GE scalloping and herringbone/ivoroid binding)

Two - start with the OM-28V and making whatever changes you need to be happy. (for example - stock OM28V:, change neck to low profile, mod oval, whatever; GE scalloping)

The "tool" on the website is useless for serious consideration.

What is the neck width and profile that you want?

What is the trim that you require?

What woods do you want?

Last edited by kydave; 03-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:45 PM

ok....i can start from OM28V and ask for a Low profile neck, a 16 radius compensated bone , witdh at nut 1 3/4, 12th fret 2 1/4 , bridge 2 1/4....
second your opinion how will be the difference of price compared to Om28V???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop