The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Default Mauel McCloud (Deep Bodied OM) - "Tree"/Adi

Ok. I've been holding out on you. I received my new OM at the end of October and I love it. It's my second guitar from Hank and I love it as much, if not more so, than the first. I was finally able to take some decent pictures this weekend so I figured I would share. Enjoy!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
*mahoganut*

Augh! And I could have been lusting - I mean, appreciating - it all this time!

Great choices in woods - of course you knew I'd say that. How about some comparisons with rosewoods, and other mahoganies? I'm just curious if you find what I do or if I'm just making it up in my head.

One of my little joys of the summer will be attending the McJam at Tim & Mary McKnights this June, and I will be slipping away to Tim's wood room to select a top to go with the 'tree' back and sides. I originally intended on a spruce of some variety, but have since broadened my selection criteria and will consider anything.

Thanks much for sharing - beautiful work to go along with the beautiful wood. Is this one of Hank's last, or is he going to continue for a bit?

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Phil,

It's always hard for me to describe a guitar's sound, but I will say I think Tree mahogany has a little more depth to the sound that my straight mahogany guitar. I just think it's a fantastic tonewood because it has alot of the clarity and focus I like in mahogany mixed with a little of the overtones I like in a rosewood guitar. I think you've reached a similar conclusion comparing your Tree guitar to your other mahogany ones.

As far as when Hank is going to wrap up, I'm not sure. We actually started talking about this one in 2007 and it went through a couple of fits and starts before completion. He's always had a small production, even in comparison to many of the esteemed builders that frequent the AGF, but he builds amazing instruments. I love both my Mauel guitars and couldn't have worked with a nicer guy on this project.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM

A beauty!!! Nice pictures too.

Hank is retiring from building to spend more time with his kids and grandkids. I didn't think he was serious until I was over there the other day buying some of his wood (the only true sign ) It's sad... but I did score some killer LS and "Fine Atrs" redwood
Hank's a great builder and an even better person so the world of guitars will miss out but retiring because you want to and not because you have to is always a great thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop