The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Fretboard holes left after a refret job.

I had an electric guitar refretted recently and I noticed that there is some space left that isn't being filled by the new fret's tang (in the area of the neck that you can directly see when in playing position, where the thumb is placed). Is this normal or did the luthier do a bad job?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Hard to judge someone else's work without knowing all the details and actually seeing it, but I would not be happy if there were visible holes left behind in my fretboard.

These can be easily filled, especially of your fretboard is ebony whose sawdust is a more consistent color that hides grain patterns easily.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imc2111 View Post
I had an electric guitar refretted recently and I noticed that there is some space left that isn't being filled by the new fret's tang (in the area of the neck that you can directly see when in playing position, where the thumb is placed). Is this normal or did the luthier do a bad job?
Are you saying you have an unbound fretboard and the fret tang is inset slightly into the tang slot?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:31 PM

How bad are the holes, are they even, when a neck is refretted, we level the wood and then recut the fret slots if required to accomodate the new tang depths.

If the fret tang slots are not even and all over the place, then the person who did the job was a bit lax in attention to detail, if the slots are all of tghe same depth just a void then they have possibly used a fret with a shallower tang than what was previously fitted, not a big deal, putty mixed with linseed oil can be utilised as a filler, very common

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM

Many possibilities - they could have been filled previously and the fill came loose during re-fretting; as Steve mentioned, a shallower tang could have been used (possibly to prevent the new frets from bottoming out), the fret slots may have been cleaned with a fret saw. On an electric with the slots going through the edges, the fretboard edge is finished. So usually, the gaps between the tang and slot bottom are filled and playing surface masked before the neck is sprayed. If you then remove the frets, you can possibly pull that finish (and resulting filler) off.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Did you ask the person who did the work about it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair