The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Default Minimum Fret Crown Height for Martin D

What is the minimum fret height on a standard Martin before it needs to be replaced? Mine is at .032" which feels a little low. Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Minimum fret height is defined by the individual player. If .032" is too low for you, then it's too low. Others might find .032" just fine, but they're not you.

Personally, I find .032" borderline low. I'm more comfortable with .040" and higher. But I like to bend strings. If I didn't, a lower fret height might not bother me.

Larry
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Guest 1928

I can play frets at 0.032", but I really don't like them at that height. I'm pondering a complete refret at that point, and anything below 0.030" is a definite refret.

FWIW my LSV apparently got played a lot before I bought it. The frets had been dressed to 0.028", but with a refret by Jim Bennett and some Bryan Kimsey modifications, it's a fabulous guitar. :-)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 PM

This, of course, is the point at which I feel compelled to point out that for many years, the standard Martin fret height was .037".

I spent years on this forum (and others) complaining about this ridiculously low height, and was met with universal vilification and withering scorn.

Then, three years ago, Martin surreptitiously, with no prior announcement, started installing .043" fretwire as standard.

I have no way of knowing whether or not my one-man crusade was in any way responsible for the change of direction ...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Glad to hear martin has gone to higher frets. Thanks for the info. Years ago, I noticed (from measurement) their frets were a bit lower than others such as Gibson and taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair