The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Default Scratches

So I took my Martin OM-21 to a dealer to get a set-up done. They did a good job on the set-up, but once I got it home I noticed a small scrape on the top under the low E string between the sound hole and the bridge. When I took the guitar in it was mint. They didn't mention that they scratched my guitar when I picked it up... so I want nothing to do with them any more. But what can I do about reducing a small scrape in the finish? It is less than a half inch scrape to the finish, no wood exposed, and when I run a fingernail across the scratch I can barely feel the indentations. So far I've been ignoring it, but the more I think about it the more it bothers me. Would "guitar polish" help to reduce the blemish? Any suggestions on product to use? I don't want to mess up the finish any more than it already is, but I sure would like to make the mark less obvious.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Photos needed to advise properly.

For info on the legalities side, morally we try to fix any damage that occurs when an instrument is in our hands, we are human and things sometimes happen.

Legally when you take your instrument in for repairs, the law does not cover you, your instrument when taken to a repairer is deemed as damaged to start with, the repairer/builder, provided they exercise all cautions, they are not legally accountable for any minor damage that may occur in fixing the job they were contracted to do.

It is a different scenario however if they pick your guitar up and smash it against a bench with malicious intent.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 PM

I probably should have left the back story out of my post. All I really wanted to ask is if it is safe to try to buff out a scuff in a nitro finish, and if so what products are recommended? Is the risk of doing more harm than good as a complete klutz sufficient that I should just ignore it and practice playing more?

Last edited by Vinegar; 03-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 PM

The scratch is pretty deep, if you were to sand and buff then you are lowering the whole area around it to that height

Repair process for at home

With 1000 grit sandpaper (wet and detergent) lightly scuff / clean the area of concern, approx the 1 inch in size

Buy a can of nitro spray lacquer, spray the lacquer into a cup

Use a toothpick and dip into the sprayed lacquer and deposit build the scratched surface up

Allow 1`week to dry

Lightly wet sand the surface again with 1000 grit paper on a rubber backed block

Hand buff or machine buff area for gloss

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM

Thank you for the advice, but that sounds like a task for someone with some skill and experience. I think I'll try to forget it is there.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Thank you for the advice, but that sounds like a task for someone with some skill and experience. I think I'll try to forget it is there.
Best thing you can do. You're better off the way it is than turning the little scratch into a crack
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM

I agree. You are best to ignore it and leave it alone as attempted repair without lots of experience can lead to additional issues. An experienced professional should only be the one working on finish issues of a valuable guitar in my opinion if any work should be done at all. It seems the new style is the aged look anyway.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
The scratch is pretty deep, if you were to sand and buff then you are lowering the whole area around it to that height

Repair process for at home

With 1000 grit sandpaper (wet and detergent) lightly scuff / clean the area of concern, approx the 1 inch in size

Buy a can of nitro spray lacquer, spray the lacquer into a cup

Use a toothpick and dip into the sprayed lacquer and deposit build the scratched surface up

Allow 1`week to dry

Lightly wet sand the surface again with 1000 grit paper on a rubber backed block

Hand buff or machine buff area for gloss

Steve
This procedure sounds like a great way to go, kind of reminds me of what I've seen people do to repair certain types of scratches in car finishes. Have you ever tried using super glue rather than lacquer? Perhaps SG is best only for very small repairs?
Old 03-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
...Buy a can of nitro spray lacquer, spray the lacquer into a cup

Use a toothpick and dip into the sprayed lacquer and deposit build the scratched surface up...
Stewmac gloss clear lacquer is a good source for this - I've done exactly this.

Another way is to get a tiny bottle of Testor's clear gloss model building lacquer.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimmo View Post
This procedure sounds like a great way to go, kind of reminds me of what I've seen people do to repair certain types of scratches in car finishes. Have you ever tried using super glue rather than lacquer? Perhaps SG is best only for very small repairs?
Super glue is great stuff but not for nitro finishes, nitro expands and contracts a bit too much IMO so many times a superglue repair will fracture on the edges of the glue at a later stage.

If the guitar is an acrylic finish, Uv finish, Poly urethane etc, then yes super glue is good.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-30-2018, 01:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
At least forget about it until you scratch it yourself somewhere else. Then it is broken in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair