The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I have an aer 60 3 .why would I want a rosette
over the aer? I've watched some YouTube vids
On this and other than the mesa one I wasn't
All that impressed( the sweet water demo was quite meh)
So talk me into it.
From what I can gather from people's comments and youtube (I've played a Rosette a lot but never an AER), these amps are very similar. They are both awesome for guitar tones and not as good as some other solutions for singing.

So I can't think of a good reason to tell you to switch.

On the other hand, if a really good acoustic guitarist didn't already own an amp in the league we're talking about, there are some very bright minds at Mesa which have had the AER around to try and improve upon for some time. The Mesa engineers are also quite accessible. If an American cared about buying American, that's another reason.

But in your situation, my two cents is just make music and don't worry about latest/greatest.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
From what I can gather from people's comments and youtube (I've played a Rosette a lot but never an AER), these amps are very similar. They are both awesome for guitar tones and not as good as some other solutions for singing.

So I can't think of a good reason to tell you to switch.

On the other hand, if a really good acoustic guitarist didn't already own an amp in the league we're talking about, there are some very bright minds at Mesa which have had the AER around to try and improve upon for some time. The Mesa engineers are also quite accessible. If an American cared about buying American, that's another reason.

But in your situation, my two cents is just make music and don't worry about latest/greatest.
Thanks for your sound advice ..I have never been one
to chase the latest and greatest. In most cases
Especially in the pro audio field.. the latest is not
Always the greatest. I have also never been one
To buy American simply because it's made here.
Foolish in most cases imho. Thanks I'll wait I guess.
I am not looking for a pa so not having nice vocals through
the aer is not a concern. Using any of these amps
As a whole house pa has always been a compromise to
my ear anyway. My main reason for this is as a stage
Monitor and mic it or di it into the FOH system.
Guess I will just carry on making music..
Old 11-18-2017, 03:38 PM

The Rosette has only been on the market for a few months and I see Sweetwater has already upped the price $150

I wonder if that's coming from Mesa or Sweetwater simply upping the price because of popularity and demand.

Update: I guess it's coming from Mesa as other sellers have also upped the price $150. That was sure fast. A 15% increase after only being on the market for a few months.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 11-18-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:48 AM

There is one on reverb right now for 999. Plus
80 sh. For anyone looking.
Like most corporations Mesa is just taking advantage of the mkt.
Perhaps they feel if they can't keep up with demand
They must not be charging enough....
Old 11-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Default The worse a Rosette can sound

Well I said I would try to post a video of the Rosette in action and am finally doing so although it is light years away from something I can really get behind ... and will be taking it down in a week or so.

I am terrible at EQ and was unable to find someone local I considered really great at it to help. This is the first gig I did with it and also the first gig I graduated from open mics to playing for 3 hours by myself, so it was more about filling out the 3 hours than perfecting a more manageable number of songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoP7g6pyNR8

Although neither the sound or the performance is up to my standards, and I really never got comfortable with Rosette since her 300 watts were too much for my rural electricity, you can still tell that if this is the worse it can sound, which it is, it has a whole lot of potential ... for guitars that is. The less compulsive members of the sparse but enthusiastic audience had no trouble buying the sound.

Sorry about the watermark and the narrow view field. I'm also not ready for prime time in video land although I intend to figure these things out.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM

The Mesa Sounded great. Hard to say what to tell you about how to improve it with out being there. Appreciate the review.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks for that video Trogg. What I'd really like to hear, since I don't sing, is someone playing solo guitar thru a Rosette. I know that Mesa and Sweetwater have some videos, but they are limited and I suspect those two places will post only the best and most enhanced professional sounds. I'd love to hear a member play some guitar solos through a Rosette, warts and all.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Thanks for that video Trogg. What I'd really like to hear, since I don't sing, is someone playing solo guitar thru a Rosette. I know that Mesa and Sweetwater have some videos, but they are limited and I suspect those two places will post only the best and most enhanced professional sounds. I'd love to hear a member play some guitar solos through a Rosette, warts and all.
Did you happen upon this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfo5AuolKm0
Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
The Mesa Sounded great. Hard to say what to tell you about how to improve it with out being there. Appreciate the review.
Thanks. As previously noted, unlike most mid-priced amps I tried, it was almost impossible to find a bad sound on the Rosette for my particular guitar.

I should have noted that the guitar's a Collings CJ35 with a plain 'ole K&K Mini Passive. Also note the zero quack. If someone with the EQ skills of a chimpanzee can draw that kind of reaction from the wine bar patrons, imagine what an EQ savant could do with it.

As much as I'm apologizing for the video, the Mesa rock heritage still shows through, fortifying my position that the more you dig in, the more it's there for you.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I did another solo acoustic gig on Tuesday with the Rosette. Some friends of mine sat in for a couple tunes. I captured this, but it's just iPhone audio.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 11-27-2017, 08:32 AM

I don't know., I cant get excited about this amp
from any of the vids I have seen/heard. Other
then the one put out by Mesa ( with the one scene with the girl singing thru it)
They all sound like a toned down reso guitar. Guess I will have to wait til one
Shows up locally to make a fair assessment. Perhaps with some compression
this could become passable. Maybe I am too fussy��. In each case I hear a fair sound when soft picking or finger style . But then strummed I hear all
this noise .? Like a toned down reso. It is not the guitarist .. the playing is great in most cases. Its the tone of this
thing..
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
from any of the vids I have seen/heard.
Yeah, gotta agree with this (including this is about the Rosette, not the OP). It sounds okay--and of course this is through a long signal chain all the way through my lame computer speakers--but the strumming sound doesn't grab me.

As the OP notes a lot can depend on EQ etc. I posted elsewhere here that I recently heard a trio playing through a Bose L1 Compact which gets tons of love around here, and I thought it was passable--but they weren't using a Tonematch and who knows how much effort they put into tweaking input through the mixer they were using.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
then the one put out by Mesa ( with the one scene with the girl singing thru it)
this could become passable. Maybe I am too fussy��. In each case I hear a fair sound when soft picking or finger style . But then strummed I hear all
this noise .? Like a toned down reso. It is not the guitarist .. the playing is great in most cases. Its the tone of this
thing..
My two cents has been that if you have a soft spot for rocking out on acoustic guitars, this is your amp. The less this interests you, probably the less you appreciate that "Mesa heritage" coming through tone-wise.

I come from a rock background and have carried that over into my acoustic playing, but that's not something everybody will want to pursue.

On the other hand, with the kind of EQ flexibility on offer, if someone was, say, a rhythm guitarist in an Irish band, I would imagine that person could find a high quality set-it-and-forget-it sound that would work just fine.

I am completely guessing here, but I imagine Mesa would want to market first and foremost to its built-in base of Mesa rock amp customers. But I also wouldn't think they'd want to limit their market to rock-oriented players, so that's why the EQ tools are so advanced. I'll be interested to hear what you find when you finally get to fiddle around with one.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
My two cents has been that if you have a soft spot for rocking out on acoustic guitars, this is your amp. The less this interests you, probably the less you appreciate that "Mesa heritage" coming through tone-wise.

I come from a rock background and have carried that over into my acoustic playing, but that's not something everybody will want to pursue.

On the other hand, with the kind of EQ flexibility on offer, if someone was, say, a rhythm guitarist in an Irish band, I would imagine that person could find a high quality set-it-and-forget-it sound that would work just fine.

I am completely guessing here, but I imagine Mesa would want to market first and foremost to its built-in base of Mesa rock amp customers. But I also wouldn't think they'd want to limit their market to rock-oriented players, so that's why the EQ tools are so advanced. I'll be interested to hear what you find when you finally get to fiddle around with one.
I guess .. I heard John Leventhal play a collings
Through a fender amp like a hot rod Deville. It sounded great.
Now he has a sound guy and probably more access to whatever it takes
to sound good. But his tone was great through a rock amp
Mesa doesn't need to mkt this to rockers . It's
marketed as an acoustic amp. Now to me the only
Video that could sell me on this amp was the one
Mesa put out. Which tells me it's probably tweaked a tad
to encourage sales. The other videos I watched
were put out by some respected experienced folks
and the sound to me was just meh. If these folks
cant make it sound like it does in the manufacturers
video ... I am suspect of the manufacturers video..
Just saying. So yea I will have to wait until I find one.locally or in my travels.
I mean there is just so much you can do with a para eq.
There is just so much you can do with this tweeter switch.
And there is just so much you can do with a combination of both.
If it's not there its not there. If it gives you what you want then it's your money well spent. Based on what I have seen and heard on utube .. well let's just
Say it would have to be given to me to try before I would
take out my plastic. Don't get me wrong. I am the first one to wax
Ad-nauseam about a product if I think it's good . I am just a hear/believe in this case..

Last edited by varmonter; 11-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
thing..
This is my criticism of almost every demo I hear for acoustic guitar amps that are meant for live play. I've never heard a good demo of an amp here where someone is getting a full 3 dimensional sound out of an acoustic guitar amp when strumming. And Maury's music demo (where the playing is fine), points out how compressed the sound of the Rossette really is. Next to the Schertler Jam 400, to me, it sounds like a toy. And next to a good small PA cab and mixer it's limitations become painfully obvious. I was one of he first ones to test the Rosette extensively and I shot it out directly against everything they had it the store, and my Jam 200 and 400. And my opinion still hasn't changed, it's limited in what it can do and for the money, especially with the upped price, it's no contest, their are much better options for a grab and go system.

For example, one PRX710 (a very highly rated JBL powered speaker), and a Bose T1 mixer can be bought for $824 shipped to your door (see links which I have no affiliation with). That gives you about $500 watts (Actual RMS ratings as opposed to what JBL states in their promotional material), and a 4 channel mixer that is phenomenal in all regards, with true 48 volt phantom, killer EQ, and more FX than you'll need. And for $400 more you can expand it with another matching cab. Another thing is the JBL cabinet weighs in at 30 lbs with a very easy to carry design with the handle on top of the JBL, and pole mount on the bottom. Another plus is that the T1 mixer fits right into the small little cutout in the top of the JBL speaker! So in my opinion the JBL/Bose rig slays the Mesa in every regard, as in power, flexibility, and coverage. I used this actual rig last night at a show and I was amazed at the volume that the little JBL throws out along with a low end that destroys the Mesa.

Now let me be clear, for the fingerstylist who just wants a decent clean sound for fingerpicking or light strumming to fill a very small venue or is just a bedroom/house player the Rossette would be just fine, but's that's a lot of money that can be better spent for the player looking to actually gig with something!!!

http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx7...SABEgIi0_D_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bose...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-28-2017 at 12:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification