The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Default Fishman rare earth humbucking for martin d-28

Hello guys,

Could anyone tell me which following pick-up works best for a martin d-28 ,
I like the sound of a fishman rare earth humbucking, but they came out with a blend version with a extra internal mic (more expensive version ).
Is it worth the extra money????
Does anyone have experience with the two.

Thanks in advance,

Andre,
Belgium
Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Many years ago I had a Fishman single coil and I kept it a couple of weeks, because string-to-string balance wasn't to my liking. The recent ones might be better. I opted for a Baggs M1 active, and I wouldn't get anything that didn't have adjustable pole pieces - string-to-string balance is tricky with acoustic strings, and they aren't designed to be used with electric strings.

A possible downside of the Baggs is that it very sensitive to body noises. It would be great for percussive players, but might present problems for more conventional styles, depending on how you play and what you want.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimmer007 View Post
Hello guys,

Could anyone tell me which following pick-up works best for a martin d-28 ,
I like the sound of a fishman rare earth humbucking, but they came out with a blend version with a extra internal mic (more expensive version ).
Is it worth the extra money????
Does anyone have experience with the two.

Thanks in advance,

Andre,
Belgium
For soundhole pickups I like the Duncan Mag Mic, it's surprisingly good sounding, especially if it's EQ's with the blend knob more towards the mic side and then after EQ'ing roll back to the magnetic side! It's a trick I learned hear on this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Many years ago I had a Fishman single coil and I kept it a couple of weeks, because string-to-string balance wasn't to my liking. The recent ones might be better. I opted for a Baggs M1 active, and I wouldn't get anything that didn't have adjustable pole pieces - string-to-string balance is tricky with acoustic strings, and they aren't designed to be used with electric strings.

A possible downside of the Baggs is that it very sensitive to body noises. It would be great for percussive players, but might present problems for more conventional styles, depending on how you play and what you want.
The fact that it picks up clicks from both picks and fingernails is why I pulled this pickup out of my guitar. If that is a tone you like, I recommend the DiMarzio Angel as that is got a very similar tone without the clicking artifacts.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Fishman rare earth humbucking

Thank kindly for your answers guys,

Andre😀
Old 12-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post

I've used the M1 active but now use the M80 in passive mode in my D28 and they both do a good job although I prefer the M80. As said, pole piece adjustment is essential to achieving best results and for that reason I wouldn't consider the Fishman.

If you don't like the body sensing you can put pads between the pickup clamps and the guitar top but I don't find this necessary neither do I experience problems with pick/nail noise as I play slightly behind where the pickup is mounted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification