The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
The thing that blows me away is that was my favorite song in the world when I was a little kid, and it was already (but only) 15 years old...

Weird when I was a kid in the 80's, the late 60's seemed so far in the past...and now in 2019 I'm much further away from the 80's than that...yet I remember my dad having that CCR tape in his Ford Fairmont like it was yesterday.

Perspective. Yikes.
I have a hypothesis about that. Each year seems shorter as you get older because each successive year is a smaller proportion of your life so far.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I have a hypothesis about that. Each year seems shorter as you get older because each successive year is a smaller proportion of your life so far.
I don't know if there's science to back that up, but it sounds perfectly plausible to me.

It's crazy to think about time (and I promise this will be the last derail of this thread) but, for example, I've been playing the guitar almost 2/3rds of my life. I've been working at my current job almost HALF of my life.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Perspective. Yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAruBWa7LGk&t=66
Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Lol. Man, I love that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Another factor that influences chord choice is the sound you want.
This right here is all that matters. What do you want it to sound like and what do you want to sing over.
It also matters if you're playing a song as an acoustic soloist or in a band setting.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
One thing I've noticed over the years is that doing a specific daily routine can make time fly, but filling your days up and keeping busy, especially with special projects and such can have a way of making weeks feel more like months. How you spend your time has a huge influence on the perceived passing of time.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM

By adding those chords, you may actually be adding what is already present in the original but not played by the guitarist. But is a note that you feel or hear, that is important to your interpretation.

Ed
Old 11-12-2019, 03:04 PM

That’s what keeps music fresh. Who doesn’t like a well done refresh?
Great songwriting will take it to a new key or new chord.

Consider the biggest change is vocals. Change the chords to give songs more depth.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Default Playing w/Others

No one has yet addressed how this works when playing with others. If they are playing chord instruments, they may get upset that you are not doing it "correctly", "correctly" being defined how it is done most commonly. If you are playing the relative minor and they aren't, then you have one note of the three out of sync with everyone else. Not good - but then no one may notice.

I play with fiddlers often. If there are just the two of us, it doesn't make an iota of difference. They play single notes (for the most part) and as long as your chord contains the note, you are good to go. If you had educated listeners, perhaps other guitarists, they might notice the difference and think, "Cool, what he's doing with it". Or they might think, "Oh no, he's doing it all wrong". In actuality, who's to say?

One thing I often do is skip occasional chords (transitional ones, ones you do not hold on to for any length of time) and play the single note(s) instead. No one has ever complained, perhaps never noticed, and it adds subtle interest.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
My theory too. Remember how long a year lasted when you were four? That was 1/4 of my life. Now they just whisk on by - getting old is an accelerator.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Interesting! Just what I thought of above. I don't suppose you know which version it came from?
My best guess would be Arlo's version. In the early 70s there were small chord/lyric magazines that used to come out monthly with half a dozen songs and a couple of interviews or record reviews in each issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
My best guess would be Arlo's version.
Well, I checked Arlo's version before, which was how I confirmed he used A (in fact A7 with C# bass). His studio version follows the A with F, not Bb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
In the early 70s there were small chord/lyric magazines that used to come out monthly with half a dozen songs and a couple of interviews or record reviews in each issue.
I guess it's possible Arlo changed his mind at a later stage and decided Bb was better?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I don't know if there's science to back that up, but it sounds perfectly plausible to me.

It's crazy to think about time (and I promise this will be the last derail of this thread) but, for example, I've been playing the guitar almost 2/3rds of my life. I've been working at my current job almost HALF of my life.
I just did the math on that, and I've been playing for 3/4 of my life, counted from when I got my first guitar and not when I was taught my first chord. 0.75321031104347 of my life, to be precise. (How did I get that number? Google will tell you the days since a certain date, and I happen to remember the date I got my first guitar, so it's simple division.)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I checked Arlo's version before, which was how I confirmed he used A (in fact A7 with C# bass). His studio version follows the A with F, not Bb.
I guess it's possible Arlo changed his mind at a later stage and decided Bb was better?
Maybe, or maybe just different and suited his mood at the time.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Or they might think, "Oh no, he's doing it all wrong". In actuality, who's to say?
Hecklers.

I have actually not had a problem with that yet. I tend to take a lot of liberties with a song, not just the chords but strum patterns, picking patterns, even sometimes the melody. So far I haven't gotten a determined heckler over something like that, but I have a reply ready for when it happens. "You want something that sounds more like the record? Then go home and listen to the record." Because really, I'll never sound as much like the record as the record does, so I'm not even going down that road.

The song I most expect it on is "Somebody's Crying." The chorus starts out with a held note on the word "please." That note is at the top of my range, and I can hit it and hold it, but it doesn't sound pleasant. I cringe when I hear myself attempt it. So instead, I start "please" with that note and then walk it down three steps, one full tone at a time, using the chord progression from the verse instead of the original chorus, to land on a note that's comfortable and more musical before completing the chorus normally. This is a large deviation from the way the song was written, and I expect sooner or later someone is going to object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
One thing I often do is skip occasional chords (transitional ones, ones you do not hold on to for any length of time) and play the single note(s) instead. No one has ever complained, perhaps never noticed, and it adds subtle interest.
Yes, I do the same, and I completely agree with your rationale. It does add interest, and variety, rather than just being chord chord chord.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write