The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Three-finger picking help

Hello!

I've been playing the guitar for about 30 years, and I play without a pick.

I have an idiosyncratic fingerpicking style, one that has served mainly as an alternative to strumming for ballads, etc.

I've tried learning three-finger picking via videos, and I know about the alternating bass-note pattern on the bottom three strings, but I get stuck at how to understand the necessary syncopation of the upper strings, which fingers to use, etc.

Any help in simplifying the process of understanding the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 AM

I take it that the answers you got on Mudcat Cafe were not what you wanted. Perhaps supplementary questions would help.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Pete View Post
Hello!

I've been playing the guitar for about 30 years, and I play without a pick.

I have an idiosyncratic fingerpicking style, one that has served mainly as an alternative to strumming for ballads, etc.

I've tried learning three-finger picking via videos, and I know about the alternating bass-note pattern on the bottom three strings, but I get stuck at how to understand the necessary syncopation of the upper strings, which fingers to use, etc.

Any help in simplifying the process of understanding the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Classical orthodoxy is index on 3rd, middle on 2nd, ring on 1st. Thumb on 6-5-4.
But that's mainly just a basic starting position - variations may occasionally be required.

In folk/blues styles it's much looser. The thumb often picks 3rd string, because it's keeping the bass rhythm going, and some bass notes happen to fall on 3rd string. Sometimes (more rarely) the index can pick 4th string. But when it comes to fingers on the treble strings, any can be used. Most players probably just use index and middle, in various combinations on any strings. The great Merle Travis used index only.

I.e., there is no general "system", other than the steady bass on the thumb, one stroke per beat. (Some beginners make the mistake of using index on the higher bass note.) Provided you have the bass working, use any finger(s) you like.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I take it that the answers you got on Mudcat Cafe were not what you wanted. Perhaps supplementary questions would help.
I hadn't had time to read the responses there yet. Posted on both forums at roughly the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write