The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Paul - I am very sorry to hear this news. I suspect, after 28 years, the news to you was a blow.

I can predict your future, but I know when I purchased a business, only to have it fall through, the following few months did offer some good perspective and insight. I hope the time "off" serves you well and land in a place that is good for you.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 AM

You guys are the best.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:17 PM

As a software dev for over 20 years who has worked for countless small companies (my preference), I've experienced a variety of layoffs/company failures.

Almost in every case I ended up somewhere better in the end.

One bit of advice I'd like to instill is to please appreciate the time you are not working and use it wisely. Give yourself a 'job' in focusing on your next move, (career prep, dealing with recruiters, etc), but also carve out a good bit of time for yourself.

After one company I worked at imploded last year, I focused almost entirely on tending to areas of my skillset I thought were lacking. In a sense it was time well spent, but OTOH it was the last block of free time I had to spend with my late pug boy who was the most amazing dog I've ever had... and we didn't do anything different than we normally did. I so wish I'd taken a road trip with him or just something special.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Sorry Paul. This happened to me twice and it was very hard on me. After I got my head screwed on straight again each time I ended up in a better place. Good luck buddy. PM me if you need some one-on-one encouragement.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Really sorry to hear the bad news. Like others I've been through this (twice) and also came out the other side much better....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Paul Ive been their , having a decent guitar to play seems to smooth things over a bit - look at this like its a fresh new start, in my case a total change in my life style and became self employed
Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM

hang in there Paul......that's a tough blow after 28 years
stay strong - good things can come out of difficult times
hoping things work out for you
Old 10-18-2019, 02:36 PM

It must be quite a shock after 28 years, especially if you had no warning. Hopefully in a few days, a couple of weeks, that will wear off and you'll find a new routine, and new inspiration and ideas.

In my field, layoffs and contract jobs are pretty common, so it's easy to forget there are plenty of people who have long term jobs and haven't been through getting laid off. It's not much fun if you're under pressure to find something new, but it can also be a great time for yourself. Try and enjoy it, too!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 PM

I got pushed out of a industry leading company after a very successful 32 years when was 55. I thought I’d never find a job.

What I found was courage and a new enthusiasm for work. In less than 6 months I had a new, challenging job in my industry that met every requirement I had. They loved my experience.

Made another change-on my own terms this time-a couple years ago. If I had known how invigorating it can be to change jobs and seek new adventures I would have done it years ago.

Stick to the task...make finding a new job your new job. Take a breather. Everything is going to be alright.

And play some guitar! It’s a great time to learn some new songs!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Hi Paul, I really regret that I made a similarly titled thread about my own minor issues.

I've been where you are and I empathise.

I took "voluntary" redundancy in '93 after 20 years and was totally lost.

I got another job a year later - they dumped me after they'd got sufficient info about my last employer, and another job ended (amicably) the following year.

Redundancy hit again in 2003, after seven years of excellent achievement.

So, don't be thinking that it is you! You have held down a good job for a long time.
Sounds "pat" but consider this an opportunity.

We ARE routing for you. Get your cv up to date, go to the libray and check out all the potential employers in an acceptable commuting area and write a speculative letter to the CEO (never HR!) ask him and anyoe else you know in business for a 20 minute chat (in working hours, at their office) to pick their brains about possible positions in other places that they might know about (i.e, don't ask therm for a job straight out).

There are ways of finding advertised jobs of course but that's a lottery, but do that too of course.

I discovered that being out. of work is really hard work. I worked from 9-6 on my job search Monday to Friday and decided that I wasn't out of work evenings and weekends .. it helped somehow.

Good fortune sir.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Good advice Andy. Let me also add that the internet is your friend. Found my last two (after my story above) through technology. LinkedIn is also a great resource.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Paul,

I feel badly for you. I hope you find yourself another job in not too long.

It's a shock to lose a job after 28 years with a company. You are bound to go through a grieving process.

Take care Paul!
- Glenn
Old 10-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Hey Paul, this is tough news. That’s a long time to be with a company. I hope the lay-off is temporary and short. If not, I hope you find something that makes you happy and pays the bills. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic