The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Just thought that I would add that gluten free means no beer .
Fear not!

https://thebeerly.com/two-brothers-prairie-path-ale/

Prairie Path, from Two Brothers Brewing. It's not just a "gluten-free beer", it's a great beer that happens to be gluten free.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Thanks, those worked. Not studies, but scholarly articles. Not sure how one could conclude gluten is bad from those. I’d like to see a study controlling for gluten with a negative outcome to be convinced. Worth keeping an eye on though.
You know how it is, there's loads of links we could all go around in circles adding, but as someone said earlier (and as I've alluded to) we all tend to 'cherry pick' what suits our own bias. As such, this thread could be a 100 pages long and will contain the same backing and forthing etc.

I base my current thinking on what makes sense to me having weighed up the pros and cons of both sides - and the fact that I have never felt/better. If I come across something that make more sense to me than what I think now I'll happily (ok, reluctantly at first, because that's human nature!) change my thinking. But, for now, I'm pretty much gluten free.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Celiac disease was first described by a 1st century AD Greek physician. The definitive connection to gluten is much more recent - mid-1960s appears to be when that really started to take shape.

Excellent article on the history of the disease here:

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp...cCtr.News_.pdf
So exactly How has that effected the outcome of the population of the Earth in the past 2000 years ? Probably .00001 %

Ed
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
That’s not totally correct.
Today’s “Gluten” is a relatively recent protein additive to the modern diet, and it’s in everything.
My take is this:
- For the small minority of celiac afflicted individuals, going gluten-free is essential.
So like I said .00001% are effected. To hear the hype, We are ALL gonna Die.
If it does effect you, fine, STOP eating foods containing Gluten. Just leave my pizza crust, bread, and whatever else has gluten in it alone. I will suffer alone.

I'm sorry it's quintessential chicken little syndrome.

Ed
Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
I'm sorry it's quintessential chicken little syndrome.

Ed
No need to be sorry, it's merely an opinion.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...I sometimes ask for extra gluten when I buy bread at a bakery...sometimes I get a chuckle but usually not....actually I do feel better when I cut down on gluten intake but hey I love bread and pizza and pasta....i’m of Italian heritage...it’s in my DNA I guess...
There ya go ! Leave us alone, we like our Italian goodies.

Ed.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM

I do not know if celiac disease is the culprit but I do know that my adult son is feeling much better since he went gluten free about 5 years ago. Me, I love pasta and freshly baked bread. Not to mention waffles.

For those it helps, it is a life changer. Whether it has been hyped is an open question.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Yes, I think there is good science to suggest that some people are intolerant of gluten though they are not actual celiac sufferers. All that really matters is how you tolerate gluten or any other food. Try abstaining for a month, see how you feel. Then reintroduce the food, see how you feel. That's all.

One thing I will say is that I've noticed some gluten free products are highly processed. Ever read the ingredients on a gluten-free bread label? Hardly sounds like food.

Michael Pollan has a book and a Netflix series called Cooked. He explores the history, tradition, and science of using the elements of air, fire, earth, and water to render plants and animals into foods.. The segment Air, concerns bread. Fascinating stuff.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-07-2019, 01:43 PM

No offense to those that have health issues with gluten, but I thought this quote was pretty funny from Ryan Reynolds:

"Everyone in LA is so terrified of gluten, I swear you could rob a liquor store with a Bagel."
Old 01-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
One thing I will say is that I've noticed some gluten free products are highly processed. Ever read the ingredients on a gluten-free bread label? Hardly sounds like food.
Great point! I never actually think of myself as gluten-free (even though I avoid the stuff), and very rarely buy products labelled gluten-free, for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Interestingly, my daughter (who is coeliac) hates it, because she's tired of being ridiculously and wholly inappropriately judged by certain types when she eats out and requests gluten-free, when she is literally trying to preserve her health/life.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
No offense to those that have health issues with gluten, but I thought this quote was pretty funny from Ryan Reynolds:

"Everyone in LA is so terrified of gluten, I swear you could rob a liquor store with a Bagel."
No offence taken here, and I would never deny anybody the right to bear bagels...
Old 01-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
No offence taken here, and I would never deny anybody the right to bear bagels...
Especially if they have smoked salmon, a little cream cheese, nice slice of tomato, a little red onion...

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I don't drink beer either.

And I don't use microwaves, never have, never will. It's your perogative to use them...enjoy.

It's a pity you would you automatically assume my partner sells snake oil - as a naturally cynical person (by which I mean one who is paying attention) I find that rather odd, especially as I've made no attempt whatsoever to sell anything...
I use my microwave to boil water and pop my own popcorn . How is this harming me ? It really is a simple question .
By using the term partner in this context , it implies a business association .
Your reference to an opinion piece as evidence to support that product leads me to conclude partial BS , in the least .
What is this product and what is it's function ?
Open ended statements always make me suspect .
Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM

This thread has turned into a "science attack exercise". First you asked for hard data and you got it. Then you said the research was biased and you would reject it. Then we got a site to some Marion web page which poorly references its claims. You reject the NIH and major research centers but embrace some private webpage....

The point is, there is no truth to the idea that anyone more than a few, less than 5 in every 100,000 people need to avoid gluten.

Last edited by Davis Webb; 01-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I use my microwave to boil water and pop my own popcorn . How is this harming me ? It really is a simple question .
By using the term partner in this context , it implies a business association .
Your reference to an opinion piece as evidence to support that product leads me to conclude partial BS , in the least .
What is this product and what is it's function ?
Open ended statements always make me suspect .
You choose to use a microwave, I choose not to - I've not asked you to justify why you do and I am under no obligation whatsoever to explain why I don't (you might have noticed a recurrent 'theme' in this thread?).

I deliberately didn't mention what my wife-to-be sells...because I have no interest coming on here to sell anything! (I prefer 'partner', because I don't like the words fiance and girlfriend).

I've clearly stated (in other posts) that I could add as many links/references as you like, but that it would be pointless as it would just descend into, well, this. And if this is a subject that genuinelly interests you, you can do your own research...or not. And by all means conclude BS - again, your perogative.

And 'open ended statements' (?!) don't make you suspicious. Having a suspicious mind makes you suspicious (cue Elvis...).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic