The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Well these strings were not to my liking at all. I'm currently using Santa Cruz parabolic tension mid's on my Martin and I love them.
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Of the strings I've tried on my HD-28V, the ones I like best are the new Martin Lifespan medium PBs. They seem to break in quickly and last a long time. The tone is not overly-bright, but very consistently mellow.

Right now I have GHS Signature Bronze mediums, and once they are broken in they sound good, but it took several days to get to that point. I use these until they die and then probably go back to the Lifespans.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-24-2019, 09:51 PM

I tried the AB on a Taylor 710. They are certainly bright and forward, but I don't really think they suit me, at least not on this guitar. As others have said, they're rough on the fingers, and I think they're higher-tension than the strings the guitar is set up for (DR Sunbeam), because the action seems higher. I'm sure I could set the neck for them if I liked them enough, but I really like the Sunbeams' tonal balance better on that instrument.

I might try them on my Larrivee. I've never really bonded with that guitar, and a bright, forward sounding string might help.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I wonder how they sound in mediums. I've used the lights, but wasn't knocked over by them. They were decent strings though.

I like a balance string that sounds a bit mellow with fat sounding trebles, not shril. I have Santa Cruz low tension on my Avalon which generally has mediums on it. It took a week or so for that overly trebly sound to fade.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:00 AM

As I said in a recent thread, I don't like them very much, at least on my Furch (Sitka/Hog). Not much personnality, a bit dead sounding to my ears. It's like if the mojo of this guitar just went away. That being said they are comfortable, way less tension for the same string gauge.
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion