The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Any Yairi Aficionados here to help me?

Today I picked up a small scale Yairi guitar from a local seller. He was asking $200 with a bad photo and no information. It was late at night. I know Yairi is known to make some incredible guitars and $200 (could) be a steal. So I told him sight unseen, I値l come grab it for $100. He agreed. It has a really nice case and the thing is in mint, and I mean mint condition. Plays and sounds incredibly. I was blown away, especially for a smaller scale guitar. The craftsmanship put into this thing is amazing. Here痴 where I知 stumped. No model number. It has a label that says Mcabe & Camp. Which is a local guitar shop here in Los Angeles. I知 unaware that they had any shop guitars made by Yairi. The only other markings are on the neck block. It says NO 443, which I would have assumed was a model number, but no information to be found online, and beneath that says A M or maybe K M? Then, it says Yairi Nagoya made in Japan beneath the label. Headstock says Yairi in gold writing. I知 not sure if I値l be able to find the model, but any information at all would be fantastic. I壇 love to know what kind of wood was used and so on. Thanks for all your help guys. I値l share a photo album link with it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ICqaII7
Old 08-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Congrats on the guitar...looks as if it's in excellent condition.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-24-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Edited after merger.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Is that an Sadao Yairi guitar, or a Kazuo Yairi model.

Dan
Old 08-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

It looks to be a very early model based on slot head and tuner design. Maybe a Sadao? Call McCabes. You scored at that price,NICE

It appears that the inside body has the lightly blown finish to protect from high humidity changes like Yamaha did in the early Red,Green and Black labels.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:35 PM

I play my s yairi more than my d18 or d35. It's the guitar im grabbing if house burns down. $400 and i feel like i stole it.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:39 PM

In case it's helpful, this is the Japanese K Yairi website. It's not that easy to find with google, I can only find it when I search for my RF-120 model number, which I purchased in Tokyo.

http://www.yairi.co.jp/about/

"Allow" google to translate to English if you want to read the website.

I'm not near my K Yairi for another week or so but when I next have my hands on it I'll take a picture of the manufacturer's stamp if i can find it. The website does say K Yairi is currently made in Kani City, Gifu, which is just north east of Nagoya Japan.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 08-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Unfortunately the pictures I took when I first bought the guitar don't show a "Made In" label similar to yours but in case they are helpful they are linked here.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511554

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 PM

Default yairi info

i believe the yairis made in nagoya were made by sadao yairi. i have a 1974 s.yairi yd303 that is fantastic. i also have a 1965 classical made by yairi for marco polo and it too is a beautiful sounding guitar with MANY miles on her. i believe all the kazuo yairis were and are made in kani japan. i am no expert by any stretch and i am relying on intel i have read that was posted by yairiluvr.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:04 PM

Default I have a similar Yairi

I have a similar Yairi that I have been unable to track down more information. It is exactly like Shockmasters, but has No 370 and maybe K H stamped just below.
Has anyone had luck determining the origin?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2021, 12:21 PM

That has to be an early Sadao Yairi from Nagoya... unless it was Sadao’s fathers guitar.. I would think that label was out in all guitars sold there as swag marketing.. $200 very cool .. join the s.yairi group on fb .. https://www.facebook.com/groups/7862...306/?ref=share

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yairi acoustic japan, yairi japan classical