The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM

Default composite materials

I checked out my friends Martin 000-CXE Auditorium. He played for like... never. It is his first guitar and he had it for two years and he never learned how to play it. Neways...

Its the black martin that has the plastic like material for the outside.
What is up with the composite material? Inside it looks like wood and smells like wood. Is composite material going to be common in the future? Why would someone make it like that? Overall, i thought the guitar was nice 8.5/10 (the strings were black so... it would probably sound much better w/ a new set). I probably wouldn't ever buy one but if i was given one as a gift, i would enjoy it.

Last thing: My last post was about the problem i had with GC. I ended up buying the guitar (Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA Vintage Sunburst). Eh... I just can't get it anywhere cheaper and i love that guitar.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 PM

The Martin 000-CXE is an "HPL" made guitar. It is laminated (high pressure laminate) wood. Composites are generally carbon fibre or similar (plastic-type) material. The answer to your other question whether they will become more popular would require speculation and will result in numerous opinions. Personally I would probably never buy a "composite" guitar. Whether they are an upcoming fad or "here to stay" we'll have to wait a decade or more to see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber