The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Interested in Ukulele

I'm interested in an online auction on a Washburn Model 1915 ukulele that I ran across. It looks to be in pretty good condition, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Is there anything other than the usual guitar related problems/considerations/questions I should ask? Can I treat it like a guitar I would be considering?

It sure does seem that playing the uke would be a new experience for me. Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I went from ukulele to guitar. As far as structurally, I think that the same considerations apply. As far as playing them, ukuleles are not small guitars. They are tuned differently. The strings are not tuned linearly, the top string is tuned high. I find that interesting and challenging. Some people restring their ukuleles to make them into little four string guitars to get those extra two notes in the bottom of the register. I myself, think that defeats the purpose of playing a ukulele. That is the reason I learned to play the guitar instead of restringing my ukulele linearly. I still play ukulele though. I just treat them as two different instruments. There is a lot of carryover between the two. It isn't hard to learn to play the ukulele. Some people make it hard, but it doesn't have to be.

Last edited by rllink; 04-21-2020 at 08:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments