The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM

I'd say the question is loose enough that one can answer it various ways because various posters are answering a different question by interpretation.

Gee I'm no fun.

I do like the answers in the thread that point out that professional musicians as a class work for and achieve greater consistency and "floor" in their performances. As a corollary I'd point out that a lot of professional musicians (again, generalizing wildly here...) have a higher respect/value for and mastery of "simple" parts that work well rather than complex displays of difficult parts.

I've been paid to make sounds. I'd say I'm not a professional musician because I fail significantly in the second part of that two-part classification. That might sound pedantic again on my part, but I say that so as to not mislead about what I can do in a trade sense. I lack those necessary skills of repeatability, flexibility, and ability to make the simple work well.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

...of course one can be a fabulous player and not be a professional....and vice versa....however....playing professionally may very well add extra incentive to excel...and if you believe that the more you play the better you get...as I do...it’s more likely that playing professionally is going to make you a better player than a non professional.....exceptions will always occur...
Old 02-20-2020, 11:01 AM

By and large, probably - but not necessarily. I know some amazing amateur players who would run rings around many performers. Similarly some of the paid performers I've seen don't deserve to get space on an open mike night.

Agree on the comments about session musicians who (by and large) are better musicians than most live performers - they have to be, otherwise they would not get repeat bookings. Equally a good "performer" may be a great entertainer, but not necessarily a super musician, and they will get regular repeat bookings.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Playing gigs makes you better than you'd be just playing at home, but there's still all sorts of levels of musicianship at the pro level.

Some types of music simply don't require you to be "good," but if you want to keep gigging, you need to be "good at what you do."
Succinct, and I feel, accurate.....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-21-2020, 11:46 AM

Being paid doesn't make you good full stop .
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-21-2020, 12:06 PM

- Non-professional musicians are like college golf players. These guys are really good when you see them compete against other college players or other amateurs. These guys make difficult things look easy MOST of the times.

- Professional musicians are very much like professional golfers. They make difficult things look easy ALL the times.

You don't realize how good these professional golfers are until you look at the scoreboard at a tournament where the NCAA champion golfer does not even make the cut in the pro league.

Professional musicians are the same way.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
Being paid doesn't make you good full stop .
Being paid repeatedly makes you good at something.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Professionals are hired to do a job regardless of their mood that day. The person doing the hiring couldn't care less about the fight you had with your wife last night or whether you have a sniffle. Back in 1981, I buried my father on a Friday morning and went on stage that night - I didn't feel like it but I was being hired to do a job and he always taught me to honor my commitments. Professionals can do this, amateurs cannot.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM

I do open mics regularly and the performers I like are the entertainers. They may not have the chops of the better players but they play music that most people enjoy and do it competently, if not professionally. I have virtually no interest in hearing an entire set of originals because usually, they are mediocre at best.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I do open mics regularly and the performers I like are the entertainers. They may not have the chops of the better players but they play music that most people enjoy and do it competently, if not professionally. I have virtually no interest in hearing an entire set of originals because usually, they are mediocre at best.
Generally true but every song or tune you listen to was of course somebody's original.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Yes, statistically speaking
Old 02-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Guest 33123

I've really enjoyed all of your input, guys. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:44 PM

My two cents: I spend time with my guitar every day, a mix of trying to get better and simple enjoyment. But there is never a day when I “work” as long and hard on my guitar as I routinely “worked” at the job that paid the mortgage and fed my family. For those who do, more power to you, and the very best of luck.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

if you get paid to make music does that make you a better musician than those who don't? I often see an inferiority complex in couch players like me and I wonder what drives that. Is it because we've been told that being a skilled paid performer is the pinnacle of musicianship? I've played paid gigs but I choose not to anymore. Does that make me a lesser musician now?

I'd love to hear your opinions.
I think asking to assess who is better in this scenario is an invalid question based exclusively on being paid or not to play.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

if you get paid to make music does that make you a better musician than those who don't? I often see an inferiority complex in couch players like me and I wonder what drives that. Is it because we've been told that being a skilled paid performer is the pinnacle of musicianship? I've played paid gigs but I choose not to anymore. Does that make me a lesser musician now?

I'd love to hear your opinions.
Practice and skill makes you a better musician.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion