The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 PM

Default UK Bans Petrol, Diesel & Hybrid Cars By 2035

I had some idea but I wasn't fully aware of this move in Europe and was surprised that other countries have set even earlier 2030 deadlines. Norway has set 2025.

The UK is bringing forward its ban on the sale of fossil fuel cars by five years. Originally, legislation stipulated that the sale of petrol and diesel would be banned by 2040. Now that date has been pulled forward to 2035, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson saying the ban would come into effect even earlier, if possible.

The change comes after experts warned that leaving the ban until 2040 would be too late if the UK is to achieve its ambitious zero carbon targets by 2050. As well as accelerating the target, the new proposals will now include banning the sale of hybrid vehicles, which were omitted from the legislation the first time around. This means that once the ban comes into effect, people will only be able to buy electric or hydrogen cars.

I heard on the news that an extra 10,000 charging stations are being installed in the UK.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-05-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
….I heard on the news that an extra 10,000 charging stations are being installed in the UK...
I won't say, "Not going to happen!" but that is highly unlikely due to the cost and the massive infrastructure upgrade that is needed.

Besides which, electric cars are not the best solution: they are only so if the electricity needed is sourced differently. And this is before we get into the argument of how damaging electric vehicles are to the environment when one takes into account the damage caused by mining of the precious metals needed, the lack of longevity of the engines and problems associated with the disposal of the batteries and engines. I have several colleagues who have been working on electric vehicle projects since it all started. They are now their most outspoken critics.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:34 PM

There is a hope that technologies will develop that can replace individual vehicles without carbon emissions. I doubt this is realistic and much more fundamental societal changes would be required. Life is still good for most of us in the rich countries, but I expect that to change during my life time.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
There is a hope that technologies will develop that can replace individual vehicles without carbon emissions
I was going to suggest bicycles, but then, we would have to eliminate hu-mons from the equation, as they/we produce carbon emissions.................

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 02-05-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Folks, this thread is dangerously close to violating our rules. If you need to review them, here they are.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:21 PM

I would buy an electric vehicle, but they are simply too expensive, for me anyway.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:32 PM

Default UK Bans Petrol, Diesel & Hybrid Cars By 2035

Big mistake, on many fronts...
Old 02-05-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I won't say, "Not going to happen!" but that is highly unlikely due to the cost and the massive infrastructure upgrade that is needed.

Besides which, electric cars are not the best solution: they are only so if the electricity needed is sourced differently. And this is before we get into the argument of how damaging electric vehicles are to the environment when one takes into account the damage caused by mining of the precious metals needed, the lack of longevity of the engines and problems associated with the disposal of the batteries and engines. I have several colleagues who have been working on electric vehicle projects since it all started. They are now their most outspoken critics.
I just googled 'charging stations UK' and they already have over 25,000.

The figure of 20,000 for the USA was from 2018 so that should be higher now.

The March 2019 figure for Australia was 'less than 800'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Prohibition rarely produces the desired results, however virtuous those might be.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-05-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I would buy an electric vehicle, but they are simply too expensive, for me anyway.
I would consider an electric vehicle, but I don't have a driveway, garage or off-street parking so overnight charging isn't a possibility.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:06 PM

Bravo. In an island(s) country(s) it's far more possible than much larger countries that have hundreds of miles between cities and/or charging capabilities. I've said that out west in the U.S. I would need a car with over 400-mile capability IN THE MOUNTAINS to justify buying an E car.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 PM

That's fine as far as it goes, but what would really make a difference would be to restore the UK's railroad network as it was before the Beeching cuts* of the mid-1960s.

* For those AGFers who aren't rail fans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts
Old 02-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post

Why would an electric motor or basically any part besides maybe, the battery, not last long for an electric car? They are so much more simple than gas engines and gas car assemblies. That should last much longer than the equivalent gas car.

A lot of folks in the know believe within a few years electric cars might outsell gas cars here in the states. I think that would be great.

Yes, the only completely environmentally safe and feasible in the near future form of transportation is walking. Electric cars aren't perfect in that regard, but they are the better option when compared to gas based cars. I'm hoping to get an electric car in the next few years.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM

I'd love an electric but cannot consider one. I need a car that - sometimes - can drive 16 hours a day. There are long distances to travel in a relatively short time and electric wont cut it. Not yet. I still can hope.

With a range of 240 miles and a charging time of 4 hours, that's not even half the distance traveled in a day, so a plane would be cheaper and less hassle - and that was what ai es trying to get away from. My current car will go 500 miles on a tank (15 minutes to fill) and it get close to 50m/g.

For people who live in the country or have to travel long distances, electric is not there yet. Id hope that by 2035 it would be.

On the other hand, in Great Britain, it would be hard to try to travel 900 miles in a day. There's one sense of the word in which it is not "great". Electric makes more sense in a place like that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I'd love an electric but cannot consider one. I need a car that - sometimes - can drive 16 hours a day. There are long distances to travel in a relatively short time and electric wont cut it. Not yet. I still can hope.

With a range of 240 miles and a charging time of 4 hours, that's not even half the distance traveled in a day, so a plane would be cheaper and less hassle - and that was what ai es trying to get away from. My current car will go 500 miles on a tank (15 minutes to fill) and it get close to 50m/g.

For people who live in the country or have to travel long distances, electric is not there yet. Id hope that by 2035 it would be.

On the other hand, in Great Britain, it would be hard to try to travel 900 miles in a day. There's one sense of the word in which it is not "great". Electric makes more sense in a place like that.
At the superchargers, you can drive 200+ miles on 10 minutes of recharging. It's not really that bad.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s