The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2020, 08:31 PM

To reiterate, the repairman said both the thinner application of glue and pressure were important. I made extra effort to do both this time. I suspect I’ve done more than 15 K&K and two UT installs. I was never this deliberate. And, the results were more satisfying.

James, I’ll have to try your new pickup next time. I like the new design.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
This is super interesting to me. I’ve always felt the highs are weak or lacking or not-very-lively. What ever the OP said rang true for me. I wish I could do mine over...
Get scraping and sanding! Looking forward to your thoughts! Lol
Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Get scraping and sanding! Looking forward to your thoughts! Lol

Don’t listen to Aaron. He’s an instigator. Lol!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

The pressure makes sense - I installed a UT in my SC baritone, and the magnets I had for my jig were nowhere near strong enough, so I just reached in there and pressed hard and held the plate in place for about 5 minutes. I figured there was a reasonable chance the squeeze out would get onto my fingertips, and I didn't want to pull the pickup partially loose when I took my hand out, so left it alone until I was sure it was well set-up. Fingertips grow back -

Next magnet order (yes, I order lots of magnets regularly) I will get some better suited to this project, as I am extremely happy with my UltraTonic pickup, and plan to install a couple more - but like to keep my fingertips intact -
Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Suggest you put a surgical glove on the hand you reach into the guitar with.
Leaving a bit of the glove stuck on the super glue is not a problem.
Much better than ripping off a patch of fingertip skin. :-(

Cheers, _Roger
Old 02-04-2020, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This will be a quick-hit thread. I just wanted to share some recent experience I have had with K&K installation. I was talking with a respected guitar repairman in the area about pickup installation. He said he primarily installs LR Baggs Anthem systems or K&K pure mini pickups based on customer preference. He mentioned that he installs the K&K most frequently. I asked him how to make the K&K sound a bit more lively with the high end.

His answer surprised me. "Use about 1/2 as much glue as you think you think you need. And, hold it there with your finger while it cures. So, I tried it. With the last K&K install I did, I used Gorilla branded high strength super glue gel. And, I used a tiny drop in the middle of the disc. Then I used a tooth pick to spread it around. My assumption was that this was NOT enough glue to hold it in place. I expected it would fall out. But, it didn't.

Moreover, there was almost no squeeze out or mess. Lastly, when I plugged it in, I was shocked. The signal strength from the pickup was higher than usual and the highs were much more clear.

Consider me surprised and pleased. I don't know if it will fall out over time, but I will be installing K&K this way for the foreseeable future.
That's how I used to install the Shadow piezo, metallic-housed disks way back when: one drop of superglue spread evenly and press and hold in place for about a minute. This ensured as intimate contact as possible between the bridge plate and the transducer. I never had one fall off the bridge plate.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-04-2020, 06:11 AM

Default JJB 330 Pickup

Hi there,

I'm reading of good reports about the JJB 330 pickup, for a 6 string steel acoustic is the 15mm the most popular size that is installed I wonder...?
Would any users of this popular pickup comment on the size used and the make of acoustic it was installed in. I have a Guild GAD-25NAT that I am considering to install one in..?

Regards
Alan
Old 02-04-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

My JJB arrives tomorrow. Jessie recommended the 15 mm for my Martin GP. He says 15 mm for 6 string guitars.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 AM

I often wonder how a pickup like the Amulet or HFN would sound with a super glue installation. The HFN is a bit of a gamble as the feet can sometimes have issues with a bridge plate that's not entirely flat, but it's intriguing. It just seems as though with SBTs, the glue is often the way to go. I would love to try the HFN again but the issue is that I can't install it if I also have a UST as the wire is right where one of the feet needs to go. I am strongly considering the K&K to use with the Tonedexter.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi there,

I'm reading of good reports about the JJB 330 pickup, for a 6 string steel acoustic is the 15mm the most popular size that is installed I wonder...?
Would any users of this popular pickup comment on the size used and the make of acoustic it was installed in. I have a Guild GAD-25NAT that I am considering to install one in..?

Regards
Alan
I've installed JJB's in Taylor's (X-braced), Martins, a Sigma, a Furch. They will fit in most acoustic guitars.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I often wonder how a pickup like the Amulet or HFN would sound with a super glue installation. The HFN is a bit of a gamble as the feet can sometimes have issues with a bridge plate that's not entirely flat, but it's intriguing. It just seems as though with SBTs, the glue is often the way to go. I would love to try the HFN again but the issue is that I can't install it if I also have a UST as the wire is right where one of the feet needs to go. I am strongly considering the K&K to use with the Tonedexter.
I've tried it with HFN. It did not work well, ultimately. Trance inventor says DO NOT glue his pickup to the bridge plate. Essentially, the highs become ear piercing and deafening. I just responded to your other post. You should consider the James May Ultra Tonic pickup too, since you have situations where you need high gain before feedback.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I've tried it with HFN. It did not work well, ultimately. Trance inventor says DO NOT glue his pickup to the bridge plate. Essentially, the highs become ear piercing and deafening. I just responded to your other post. You should consider the James May Ultra Tonic pickup too, since you have situations where you need high gain before feedback.
Les from Schatten also says NOT to glue his pickups in place. I doubt Les would mind me quoting his email to me on the subject when I asked about it.

He said, "The VHB (or the putty) allows a bit of actual flex to the installation that a glue-in would not. I believe that gluing in with CA or epoxy might transmit a bit more vibration through to the pickup but I would be concerned that there might be a bit more percussiveness and a bit more treble passed through."

Hope that helps
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Les from Schatten also says NOT to glue his pickups in place. I doubt Les would mind me quoting his email to me on the subject when I asked about it.

He said, "The VHB (or the putty) allows a bit of actual flex to the installation that a glue-in would not. I believe that gluing in with CA or epoxy might transmit a bit more vibration through to the pickup but I would be concerned that there might be a bit more percussiveness and a bit more treble passed through."

Hope that helps

That is exactly what happened.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Gary Hull of Trance Audio vehemently recommends not using superglue for the installation of the Amulet transducers. He said it would ruin them. At .009-inches thick, I still feel the Trance permanent tape is too thick for the best vibrational transmission to the Amulets.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary Hull of Trance Audio vehemently recommends not using superglue for the installation of the Amulet transducers. He said it would ruin them. At .009-inches thick, I still feel the Trance permanent tape is too thick for the best vibrational transmission to the Amulets.

Cuki suggested there may be a better tape option out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification