The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 10:53 PM

Default Thin Bodied Nylon (Cedar) and Thin Steel Stringed Guitar Help!

In another post, I mentioned that after a long hiatus, I now find myself capo-ing above the 3rd and 4th frets. The sound becomes ukelele-ish on my GK Studio Negra. Therefore, I tried playing on my darker sounding, cedar topped classical and it was much better...

I decided the best bet for me would be use of a cedar top nylon, and a steel string to avoid the ukelele-ish sound.

I'm a longtime tennis player/coach with an old rotator cuff injury -- I discovered that I can not play my current standard sized guitars for very long.

Can anyone recommend a thin-bodied, cedar nylon string, and a thin steel stringed instrument with superior amplified sound that is reasonable in cost?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:35 PM

I would be concerned than anything thin bodied would get thin sounding with a capo up the fretboard.

I would thing something cedar over rosewood would be the best bet, if your going that direction.

From a brand you already know:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/f7-paco/

I've not yet found a thin body cedar topped steel string guitar, in a quick search. I was thinking maybe a Seagull Folk stye might. They also use different woods than many other builders.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I think you can get both nylon and steel string thin body guitars at Kiesel...aka Carvin.
Might take a few months but you order exactly what you want and they have a great plugged in sound as well.
Takamine is now building thin body guitars as well....not sure about cedar tops but worth looking into it.
Happy Hunting!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

....if you are just concerned with amplified tone Godin has great thin line models to check out...Godin Multiacs

https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...uitars/multiac
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
....if you are just concerned with amplified tone Godin has great thin line models to check out...Godin Multiacs

https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...uitars/multiac
These are what I would suggest also.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:47 PM

If your budget is in the $800 plus range....
Another vote for Godin here. You can find your steel and nylon thin-bodies in their lineup. They are audible when unplugged, so you can still practice unplugged if needed. It's just not a full sound and not very loud. You'll need a decent amp to get a good plugged in sound, obviously.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:30 PM

I have a nice Cordoba crossover. Very easy to play. Sounds lovely too.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Have you tried playing a shorter scale guitar with a smaller body, like a travel size guitar? Something like a Taylor GS Mini or Martin's travel guitar? May be worth trying to see if they'd work with your shoulder.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarpraz View Post
If your budget is in the $800 plus range....
Another vote for Godin here. You can find your steel and nylon thin-bodies in their lineup. They are audible when unplugged, so you can still practice unplugged if needed. It's just not a full sound and not very loud. You'll need a decent amp to get a good plugged in sound, obviously.
Thanks all. I like the sound/playability of the Godins, but my live act will rely on the standard acoustic guitar look...
Old 01-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
In another post, I mentioned that after a long hiatus, I now find myself capo-ing above the 3rd and 4th frets. The sound becomes ukelele-ish on my GK Studio Negra. Therefore, I tried playing on my darker sounding, cedar topped classical and it was much better...

I decided the best bet for me would be use of a cedar top nylon, and a steel string to avoid the ukelele-ish sound.

I'm a longtime tennis player/coach with an old rotator cuff injury -- I discovered that I can not play my current standard sized guitars for very long.

Can anyone recommend a thin-bodied, cedar nylon string, and a thin steel stringed instrument with superior amplified sound that is reasonable in cost?

Thanks in advance!
You are the shining example of person that Rick Turner makes his Renaissance series of instruments for.

Reasonable cost? This is for medical reasons and will be covered under your insurance, no doubt.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:35 PM

I’d try a Turner, but They are out of my price range. However, there was a Michael Kelly and Turner collaboration series for much less.

The N6 and the S6. Those ARE in your range. Check out videos and Reverb.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 AM

These days I'm playing a Córdoba Cadete 3/4 nylon short scale "student" guitar. I have shoulder issues and even my GS Mini is hard to play. I have found a good position for me to play the Cadete for my purposes. The body is somewhat thinner. I play it live at nursing homes with our folk group. Because it's not expensive I don't have to baby it and it gets bumped around in the settings I bring it to. And it sounds pretty good, at least to me. The nursing home residents aren't complaining.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:40 PM

I doubt this is an option, just want to show what can be. I would like to build a thin guitar one day. It has more bass than its size lets on. Don't really notice how thin it is with his playing but when you look through the pictures... ... (don't forget to click on the picture).

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5...ya-spcsar.html
Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
Have you tried playing a shorter scale guitar with a smaller body, like a travel size guitar? Something like a Taylor GS Mini or Martin's travel guitar? May be worth trying to see if they'd work with your shoulder.
The Taylor Mini will not - I have one and it still hurts after a few minutes playing. However, there is a line of super shallow Ovations that are well made, sound pretty good, and cost under $600.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I doubt this is an option, just want to show what can be. I would like to build a thin guitar one day. It has more bass than its size lets on. Don't really notice how thin it is with his playing but when you look through the pictures... ... (don't forget to click on the picture).

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p5...ya-spcsar.html
Nice. I'm not even seeking acoustic tone froma prospective thin body...This will be a plug in only guitar...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion