The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 PM

Default What’s you NGD routine?

OK so that new guitar has arrived.....so what’s you routine for a new incoming guitar? Let’s says it’s used...so you just let it sit and acclimate for a few days ?
Then what? New strings? A set up?

I usually will let it sit for a day and then remove the strings. Clean the fingerboard and then steel wool it. Lemon oil and put on some new strings.
Check the action and adjust the truss rod if necessary. I will monitor the action and relief over the next week. If the saddle needs some sanding, I won’t do that for a week or so, in case the wood is still acclimating and getting properly humidified.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM

Your process is about the same as mine - except I don't let it acclimate (unless I know there has been a temperature shift which might cause some issues). All of my used guitars have been in person purchases so that hasn't been an issue to date. After clean up, I will usually play a while and then compare the setup to my baseline. I'll tweak the the truss rod if needed and then compare string height at various points on the fretboard to that same baseline. I recently picked up a used Seagull Artist Cameo that was "spot on" to my preferred set up and as comfortable as any I have to play. Lucky me.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Take it out the case and play the hell out of it.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:24 PM

Just wanted to add that I sometimes wait before putting new strings on until I am
sure I won’t be adjusting the saddle. This is because I don’t want to keep loosening and re-tightening new strings while I am working on action height. I feel like that prematurely ages your strings, so I’ll wait before putting on new strings in a case like that.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 PM

If not already equipped with bone or Tusq nut/saddle and wood bridge pins, I do a setup (truss rod adjust, saddle, nut slots) and simultaneously install Tusq saddle and nut and something other than plastic for bridge pins. New strings once that's all done. And drill for straplock buttons and install those.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:10 PM

As I more often as not do not buy guitars I have not held in my hands first, there is no shipping involved so no need for setting aside some time for it to acclimate.

Unless the strings are just plain nasty, as somebody else said I just play the hell out of it for a few weeks without any real thinking going on. After I have lived with it for a bit I deal with getting it setup to where I like it and start putzing around with strings.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 PM

Step one: If the guitar has been shipped to me and has a nitrocellulose finish, I let the package and its contents acclimate to current temperatures. If this isn’t applicable I skip directly to step two.

Step two: I play it. As much as possible without neglecting my family or my job.

Step three: I repeat step two until my fingers hurt and then take a break.

Step four: I repeat steps two and three.

Step five: After many repetitions of steps two and three and sometimes four, I develop a crush on some guitar I don’t have and I start scheming and plotting and window shopping and auditioning other guitars, all while repeating step two.

Step six: After several — often as many as 5–6 — years of step five, I buy a new guitar and proceed to step one with said instrument.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post

I usually will let it sit for a day and then remove the strings. Clean the fingerboard and then steel wool it. Lemon oil and put on some new strings.
Check the action and adjust the truss rod if necessary. I will monitor the action and relief over the next week. If the saddle needs some sanding, I won’t do that for a week or so, in case the wood is still acclimating and getting properly humidified.

This sequence seems a little odd to me.
You put new strings on and then check the action?
Can't you do that with the old strings?

I play it with the strings supplied for at least a few weeks.
I make notes of adjustments I'll make when I do the 1st string change.
Things like adjusting the truss rod, lowering the saddle, upgrading the pins and saddle to bone.
I also use the opportunity to maybe try a different string type or gauge to get it playing and sounding even better - sometimes this works, sometimes it goes backwards - that's part of the fun with a new guitar.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 AM

Wait 24 hours. Unpack it, tune it, play it.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:14 AM

If factory-new, I do the typical set up with truss rod, then... I file down (.007") and recrown the last 6 frets as they are not (generally) impacted by the truss rod adjustment or played. -Then, recut the string depth lower at the nut and then address saddle height if needed.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:42 AM

I've never bought a 2nd hard acoustic. I can describe the procedure I used last time I had a NGD, but it was new, not 2nd hand:

Rip the packing open like a child with a Christmas present. Open the case. Gasp as it fills with fog because its so cold. Shut the lid guiltily and wait an hour. Get it out and play it a bit . Go all over it and find all the little flaws and niggles. Feel mildly annoyed. Get over it. Swap the strings for Elixirs. Play.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:59 AM

My routine:

1. Take an artistic photograph with the guitar leaning alluringly against the IKEA kitchen chair and post to Instagram.

2. Send a tweet to my follower announcing the new arrival.

3. Start a NGD thread on AGF, UMGF, My LesPaulForum, TGPDRI, Fisherman's Friend and Mumsnet.

4. Caress guitar for 30 minutes.

5. Put back in case...
Old 01-20-2020, 06:02 AM

Oh, I forgot, I always get a curry afterwards when I buy a new guitar. Indian garlic chilli chicken my usual choice.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 AM

When I bought my Larivee P-09, I was on my way to a Rennaisance dance event, so my routine was, "Go play drums for a bunch of Renn dancers..."

There was another guitar nerd there, but we only spent about fifteen minutes noodling...
Old 01-20-2020, 07:28 AM

If it arrives in the winter, I let it warm up a full 24 hours before opening. I also let it get a little humidity. I typically send it to my setup guy and throw on new Elixirs. Then I play the heck out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion