The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Sell the Gibson and find another Yari.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Y’all have helped me decide. The Gibson goes. I’m teaching a grandson to play but he’s only 5. I figured I’d leave the Yairi to him if he stays with it. He absorbs teaching like a sponge. I have to give the Yairi away since that’s how I got it. Willed to me by a dying friend. Heading out to guitar shops now.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Not a hard call. Sell the AJ and perhaps look to replace it with a different Gibson. Give the J-45 or a Hummingbird Vintage a serious look. Those models represent the typical short scale Gibson sound, especially for singer/songwriter/strumming duty.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 AM

I’m in the minority, a one-guitar (acoustic) man. I also owned a great Yairi at one time. I understand how it made the Gibson irrelevant and I would sell the Gibson right away.

I don’t see the need for a “backup” acoustic guitar that might sit in a closet for 10 years doing no one any good.

Pass it on to a player who will enjoy it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 AM

I've recently sold/am selling off all but two acoustics that I use all the time, if you don't like it, sell and buy another you do or as some others have said just have the one.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Your asking me? I sold off both a high end Martin and Taylor in favor of an 80's made in Japan Sigma so what do I know?
Old 12-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I recently parted with a guitar I owned for 25 years. I evolved into needing a more powerful sound and was not playing it. I decided I should not keep possessions just because I've owned them a long time.

Find something you like.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 PM

I'm in a similar situation where I have two six string and two 12 string guitars, and I'd be happy with just one of the pairs. I also have a very small house and instruments are occupying a considerable amount of living space as I don't have a music room. But I like all four guitars and have no money issues. The two I'd be willing to part with are very high end and rare, and if I advertised them or put them on commission at the guitar store I would not be able to get anywhere near their potential value. My GF thinks I should keep them as she likes it when I play different instruments. So my solution so far is to not try to push them out but instead try to keep them in rotation and to play them out at suitable venues. And if people comment and ask about them then will let them know that they are available. I want to make sure that someone gets them who will use them at their full potential for recordings etc.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Default UPDATE

I listed the Gibson for sale at several hundred more than I paid for it. I was contacted by a guy who has been specifically looking for the very guitar I have. We're meeting up after Christmas at a relative's of mine house who is approximately halfway between us. He asked me to mark the listing as SOLD. When I said I couldn't he offered to drive the 3 hours yesterday to get it. No mention of a lower offer. I said I was too busy so it has to wait. Apparently I'd say I've got a buyer.

I sat down yesterday and played the Gibson for a little over half an hour. I'm not gonna miss it. No comparison to the Yairi. Plus, I'll have a tidy sum to leisurely shop for a backup and will be looking for, as a few have suggested, another Yairi.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Any family members who may want the Gibson? Hell of a thing to hand over to someone you love. Keeps it in the family.

Took the words right from my head. My son got a 1964 Gibson 345 this way is his most cherished guitar. My uncle played it in church when I was a kid. What a treat for him. If no family, sell that baby so someone can enjoy.

Jed
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Took the words right from my head. My son got a 1964 Gibson 345 this way is his most cherished guitar. My uncle played it in church when I was a kid. What a treat for him. If no family, sell that baby so someone can enjoy.

Jed
In 1972, my brother had a 345 that I loved. By the time we started a band together it was gone in favor of a Hummingbird. That 345 had the best neck I’ve played.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:28 PM

Brief update. After dealing with the child wanting me to commit to marking the guitar sold, a kid who kept blowing up my phone with everything he could think of to get me to sell it to him for a lot less, I ended up blocking his number. I listed it on the local OfferUp and got a reply within 5 minutes. I met up with a guy who had a HD28 Martin custom shop with their version of a torrefied top. He preferred playing his D18. He'd always been interested in my particular model Gibson but they were no longer being made. His Martin also had a Baggs pickup installed by a Martin certified luthier.

Within less than 10 minutes we'd both decided on an even trade that I thought was somewhat more in my favor, but he didn't care. We're both thrilled and clicked on a personal level as well. We made plans to get together to play music. How does it get any better?
Old 01-26-2020, 04:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-26-2020, 04:15 PM

If your going to give it to a family member I'm willing to be adopted.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-26-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
Brief update. After dealing with the child wanting me to commit to marking the guitar sold, a kid who kept blowing up my phone with everything he could think of to get me to sell it to him for a lot less, I ended up blocking his number. I listed it on the local OfferUp and got a reply within 5 minutes. I met up with a guy who had a HD28 Martin custom shop with their version of a torrefied top. He preferred playing his D18. He'd always been interested in my particular model Gibson but they were no longer being made. His Martin also had a Baggs pickup installed by a Martin certified luthier.

Within less than 10 minutes we'd both decided on an even trade that I thought was somewhat more in my favor, but he didn't care. We're both thrilled and clicked on a personal level as well. We made plans to get together to play music. How does it get any better?
What a great ending, nice one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion