The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Default Sell The Gibson?

I’ve got an issue to decide. When my glorious sounding 1982 Yairi super abalone was crushed in a car wreck I had to quickly buy another guitar. At that time I was playing in two places every week. I bought a limited edition custom shop maple advanced jumbo Gibson. It seemed to do an adequate job for me, nowhere near the Yairi’s sound but the Yairi was 33 years older. I was fortunate to have an incredible restoration expert recommended to me who restored the Yairi to all it’s former glory. Today I had both guitars out and A B’d them side by side by playing the same two songs on each. Clearly the Yairi was the winner. My issue is I like the Gibson but realize I likely will abandon it in the closet. I don’t have money issues so there’s little inclination to sell it. At my age I won’t live long enough for the Gibson to open up even remotely similar to the Yairi. I’m realizing right now this is probably the stupidest post I’ve ever made online, but I have no idea what to decide! So go ahead... let me have it with both barrels. Don’t hold back. What do you think you’d do in my situation?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

If I were in your shoes I'd sell the Gibson and go find a second/backup guitar that rivals the Yairi.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:02 AM

It's never a bad idea to have a backup guitar.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Any family members who may want the Gibson? Hell of a thing to hand over to someone you love. Keeps it in the family.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:46 AM

I would sell the Gibson since you are not in love with it and start the hunt for a guitar that outdoes the Yairi. As much as you love the Yairi if you found something even better that would be something.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:47 AM

Maybe try a set of John Pearse Pure Nickels on the Gibson - they sound superb on my maple H&D.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-18-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Sell the Gibson. I've sold guitars that I was in love with just because I have to be fiscally responsible, let alone one that I did not 'love'. Just one person's opinion - since you asked for opinions.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Like someone else says, you could give it to a family member who plays guitar. That's a serious guitar so someone who is serious about playing. Otherwise, if it does not have any significant sentimental value, then I would definitely sell it and find something that is different from your Yairi but is of the same standard. Not a dumb question at all...this is why this forum exists. Enjoy the giving or the hunt!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
If I were in your shoes I'd sell the Gibson and go find a second/backup guitar that rivals the Yairi.
Wow! Right out of the gate an incredible idea! It made me remember a local guitar shop that has a well preserved 1953 original Recording King archtop. I’m also a 1953. Gonna head over today to see about a trade. Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Maybe try a set of John Pearse Pure Nickels on the Gibson - they sound superb on my maple H&D.
Yep. The Gibson sounds best with nickel strings on a maple guitar. Learned that from Thom Bresh.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Take plenty of pictures, maybe even do a recording of the Gibson. Then sell it.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Sell the Gibson and buy a small body backup that's easy to move around. Backup guitars are all well and good, but doesn't need to be a Jumbo.

I enjoy having one big and expensive, one small and less expensive - it means I actually use the small one; I take the GS mini places I'm too lazy or precious to take the Hummingbird, like a random friday night jam round a friends house on the other side of town; options: (a) drive the gibson and have no beer - boo (b) lug the Gibson all the away across town in its heavy hard case at 9pm on a Friday night, and back again at 1am - no thanks (c) sling the GS mini over my shoulders in it's soft case and cycle over for some beers and strumming - win

Last edited by RalphH; 12-18-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

...if you do not see yourself playing the Gibson than let it go....either trade it for something you may be interested in checking out....or sell it and buy something nice for your significant other....

....fwiw a Maple Advanced Jumbo will draw a lot of interest....it should be fairly easy to trade or sell it...
Old 12-18-2019, 07:56 AM

I’d encourage you to keep it for a while since you don’t have to sell if for financial reasons. Leave the Yairi in standard tuning and play round with alternate tunings on the AJ. I love having two guitars so I don’t have to keep returning to switch between standard and DADGAD, Open G, etc. You may find you enjoy both of them when used for differing purposes.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you really never cared much for the Gibson in the first place so I would sell it. I do think it is a good idea to have a backup guitar that isn't as precious as your #1 Yari is. Have some fun visiting shops and trying out guitars until you find one that makes you smile and grab it as your #2.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion