The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Heh... you're absolutely right KevWind... they were unclear in the first post. Thankfully, the good folks here were kind enough to make them clearer for us. For that I am very thankful. I'm also thankful for your observations. The deeper we got into this discussion, the more need was found for the simplification that you mention regarding this technique.

Interestingly, around the same time I was having the discussion in this thread, I was also reading the book "How Music Works" by David Byrne. In that, he talks about how technology has always been "just" good enough for people to accept. Which is to say, recorded music is never quite the same as live performance sonically, but people very quickly adapt to it.

If you notice, in some of the first post of this thread, we were considering the necessity of a known LDC. In the end, we veered away from that and I think, in this case, it was a good idea. After all, this is a small local venue and any status inferred by high end gear is largely lost on this audience.

Not saying I don't appreciate the finer things. Would love to have one of those Mojave Mics, but I would also be very nervous every time it was being handled by the volunteers. The majority of the regulars here are accustomed to much higher end equipment that what is being used here. Everything has it's place, and this budget solution seems more appropriate for this application.

As I said, I am grateful for the input of good folks (such as yourself). It has helped us on our journey and perhaps by sharing, has helped others.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Default Take 1

I am revisiting this thread to make an addition. Screwed this one up. Didn't isolate the LDC to get proximity adjusted right and the voice is a bit light. Will go back and redo it, but thought you might enjoy this performance. Really great songwriter with a new CD.

I'm coming to like the cheap LDC more and more. I think I'd be more inclined to take it to places that I wouldn't take a more expensive mic. Hoping to get some more folks in this room this year.

I'll post the "take 2" when we do it. Should be within the next couple of weeks. Should be an interesting demonstration in proximity, for those following along.

(Guess I'm going to have to come up with a new thread next year as this ones about to be dated!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD