The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustics OX Raw Satin

Impulse buy

Stumbled on one used at the almost local guitar center. Perfect condition. Played for just a few minutes. Has good volume and sounds good. I will change the strings and see if I can lower the action somehow. It's not high but I prefer very low.

Anyone familiar with these and can share some experiences?
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 10-05-2014, 08:36 PM

No but I am definitely considering picking one up. I currently own a CA Cargo. The OX is reasonably priced, good size, and a well made guitar. Congrats!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

image by Kevin Loiacono, on

image by Kevin Loiacono, on Flickr

Certainly looks different...
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...

Last edited by 83SanDimas; 10-05-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
Impulse buy

Stumbled on one used at the almost local guitar center. Perfect condition. Played for just a few minutes. Has good volume and sounds good. I will change the strings and see if I can lower the action somehow. It's not high but I prefer very low.

Anyone familiar with these and can share some experiences?
Have two of the OX...one gloss and one RAW. A well balanced quitar or as we have used the description before the Swiss army knife of carbon guitars. I am sure you will enjoy it very much.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

It is a pleasant surprise. Took the action down as far as I could today and was able to get it very low without buzz.

Any idea how to date the guitar from the serial number?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
Have two of the OX...one gloss and one RAW. A well balanced quitar or as we have used the description before the Swiss army knife of carbon guitars. I am sure you will enjoy it very much.
Honestly, is their a difference between the raw and finished in tone? I as because I do not know how CA finishes a gloss guitar.

I find the neck on this a good match to my OM-42. It is not thick, is comfortable and modern. I was recommended the rainsong by many here as the neck of choice. Have you played one?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
It is a pleasant surprise. Took the action down as far as I could today and was able to get it very low without buzz.

Any idea how to date the guitar from the serial number?
For lowering the action, you just shaved off the bottom of the saddle?
I normally do that will all my acoustics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber