The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skajdiver View Post
I like my BOOMERANG
Hi S-diver...

Like mine too, but it's not a simple looper the original poster is wanting.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-19-2014, 09:06 PM

My bad, i feel like its a fairly simple device to navigate especially in a live situation. But on the other hand reading about loopers that have a 3hour capacity sounds intriguing
Old 02-05-2020, 05:59 AM

Default Eliminate "overdub"?

I have a Boss RC-1 which is SUPER simple, but again with the double and triple taps. I have it set for "record-play-overdub" vs. "record-overdub-play". I WISH there was a pedal that could eliminate the whole overdub part. I won't ever use it so it's in the way. I like to throw down one bar of rhythm for my solo later, stop it, then play it when I am ready, but honestly, I find myself whacking that button like a machine gun. There is a pedal Boss sells that will make it so you can stop with one click (it's an add on pedal...RS-7 or something like that...) But it sounds like the Ditto X2 or X4 will accomplish all this by itself.

But to repeat myself, I think having a looper that has the option of ELIMINATING the whole "overdub" step would solve a great deal of trouble. I'm guessing if we took a "show of hands", we'd find that 80% of Loopees ONLY use record and play, and "overdub" is just in the way.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:00 AM

Default Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skajdiver View Post
My bad, i feel like its a fairly simple device to navigate especially in a live situation. But on the other hand reading about loopers that have a 3hour capacity sounds intriguing
I've heard good things about Boomerang. Can you do a simple "one press to record, one press to stop OR use different button to play"? In other words can you do record, play, stop (in any order) with one button click each?

Thank you!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Go back in this part of the forum and read my post under "Looper Klutz." I settled on the Electro Harmonix 720 and LOVE it. Finally, finally, finally I an a Looper Klutz no more!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I've heard good things about Boomerang. Can you do a simple "one press to record, one press to stop OR use different button to play"? In other words can you do record, play, stop (in any order) with one button click each?

Thank you!
Hi hw

We are following up on a 4 year old thread.

I think a better choice today for a looper (4 years after the thread started) would be the Pigtronix Infinity 2 Looper (emphasis on the 2). It's the new version of the original Infinity - ˝ the price, ˝ the power requirements, the size of a small pedal, simple to operate. As of Feb 2020 it is in-stock or shipping by mid-February for $200.

The Pigtronix Infinity 2 more than was asked for by the original poster, but can be as simple as the original poster wanted.

The Boomerang III is a $500 piece of gear and my experience owning/using it and getting the support I needed led me to loan it out semi-permanently.

I love looping, but the Boomerang was not a friendly looper in terms of size (it is the size of ˝ a pedal board by itself), not easy to update (had to use a PC not a Mac, and use a special USB-to-midi interface), and not easy to navigate if under pressure of a gig. It has tons of features, but not intuitive to use.

The Pigtronix Infinity 2 on the other hand has the ability to be setup to use simply or elaborately. And the support is tremendous. There are already tons of well shot instructional videos posted on their site about the operation and programming.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 AM

Default follow up

both the pigtronix and the electro-harmonix 720 do sound good. I like the sound of the electro-harmonix because you can store loops, so I could do a few at home and have them for later.

What I would really love to see is a pedal that has two buttons and that has the choice of eliminating over dub. The overdub function seems to be the one that gets in the way. I would like to be able to press once for record and then have the choice I'm stopping the recording process so I can use the recorded loop later, or hit the second button and begin playing that loop. Or, if I had chosen stop, I could hit another button later to begin playing it. In other words there would never be any possibility of entering overdub mode because I would never use overdub mode for anything, ever.

On many of these pedals I see that they have one press stop, but I'm not clear if that means one press will stop recording so that you can used to track a little later or if the one stop feature is to stop playing only... Any feedback on that?

Thanks for these leads I think I'm pretty close!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
both the pigtronix and the electro-harmonix 720 do sound good. I like the sound of the electro-harmonix because you can store loops, so I could do a few at home and have them for later.

What I would really love to see is a pedal that has two buttons and that has the choice of eliminating over dub. The overdub function seems to be the one that gets in the way. I would like to be able to press once for record and then have the choice I'm stopping the recording process so I can use the recorded loop later, or hit the second button and begin playing that loop. Or, if I had chosen stop, I could hit another button later to begin playing it. In other words there would never be any possibility of entering overdub mode because I would never use overdub mode for anything, ever.

On many of these pedals I see that they have one press stop, but I'm not clear if that means one press will stop recording so that you can used to track a little later or if the one stop feature is to stop playing only... Any feedback on that?

Thanks for these leads I think I'm pretty close!
Loopers with a second button do that, it's part of the entire purpose for the STOP button.

As far as eliminating the overdub, that's the entire purpose of a looper. What you are requesting is a single phrase recorder.

Luckily, most loopers are configurable to change to loop recording order of the loop record button. It's usually done by holding down a particular button as the unit is powered up, and then it stays that way until you manually change it or restore factory default settings.

When the record order is changed it means that a second push of the loop record button (while recording a phrase) simply returns the looper to play mode and doesn't initiate a new loop recording. If you hit the loop record button again it starts recording, otherwise simply hit the stop button. As long as you remember to use the stop button your looper will simply function as a phrase recorder and player. No need to reduce functionality by wishing it would NEVER be capable of adding additional layers to your recorded phrase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification