The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-31-2024, 06:54 AM

Default FedEx is the worst

I know I'm not the only one to deal with these jokers...

Your package will be early from 11-3pm...
Your package is pending...
Your package has no delivery date...
Pending...

Clown Shoes!!!

Worst part is I need a sig at delivery and I work. So after leaving work early yesterday to sign for a package the did not show, I have NO IDEA when to be there or have someone there to sign.

These guys are a bad as the post office! Ok, sorry... I feel better after that little rant.
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 01-31-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncles View Post
I know I'm not the only one to deal with these jokers...

Your package will be early from 11-3pm...
Your package is pending...
Your package has no delivery date...
Pending...

Clown Shoes!!!

Worst part is I need a sig at delivery and I work. So after leaving work early yesterday to sign for a package the did not show, I have NO IDEA when to be there or have someone there to sign.

These guys are a bad as the post office! Ok, sorry... I feel better after that little rant.
Are you complaining about a package where you have someone's pre-negotiated rate or where you made the explicit choice for a fast delivery service and you - not the shipper - paid for it?
Old 01-31-2024, 07:21 AM

Fast delivery on a specified date for a certain rate (that I paid for).
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 01-31-2024, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I've been shipping a lot. We had one daughter in another state and another in another country, so we were shipping frequently, in addition to my guitar-swapping habit.

One thing I noticed with FedEx is that their delivery service is fine - its the tracking and information system that is completely and utterly broken.

I had a guitar tracked from LA to Denver to Chicago to Pittsburgh *BACK* to Denver to Buffalo. That "back-and-forth" scenario played out in virtually every single shipment I had.

I got a sense that they were marking packages at their destination when they departed and not actually scanning them in ,individually when received - they would just receive the whole truck.

I'll be honest - even though every item did arrive safely, the tracking was so screwed up I stopped using FedEx entirely.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-31-2024, 07:29 AM

It's the new normal.

Nobody cares, and nobody is responsible.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-31-2024, 07:31 AM

I had a guitar shipped to me signature required. They delivered it outside of the timeframe they promised, and just left it by our front door. Luckily, my wife came home soon after.

We don't live in a bad neighborhood, but now a days....
Old 01-31-2024, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

If I know a signature is required, I try and get it shipped to work. That has worked for a few guitars so far. Added bonus, my wife doesn’t see it!
Old 01-31-2024, 07:46 AM

In my experience very few carriers have a tracking system that you can rely on to know when a package is going to arrive (aka track it in more or less real time).
I was lucky that I could always have shipments delivered at work when I was still working, and never had the "recipient not home" symptom there which still happens to me now that I'm basically always home. I never tried receiving something as big as a guitar, though.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I've had both UPS and FedEx deliveries shipped to an alternate pickup location like a UPS terminal or FedEx store to avoid having to wait around for a package...
Old 01-31-2024, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
In my experience very few carriers have a tracking system that you can rely on to know when a package is going to arrive (aka track it in more or less real time)......
not consistently but some UPS packages have real time tracking with a map showing the truck and I can legit follow it driving around my neighborhood as it approaches my street.

There is absolutely no reason they cant do this unilaterally. They have real time connection and GPS tracking.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-31-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

They all suck but of the three, FedEx is by far the best up here in NH. UPS has been improving a bit. USPS is still pretty bad up here due to lack of workers, mostly. Nobody seems to want to work anymore. I remember back in the day when having a job at the USPS was a great career. No so much anymore, apparently. Regardless of all this, my packages always arrive - eventually!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
There is absolutely no reason they cant do this unilaterally. They have real time connection and GPS tracking.
Exactly. (Or at least you'd hope they have that in their trucks. I don't need to know every side-step the driver takes )

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Nobody seems to want to work anymore.
That seems like such an old man thing to say.

I get along fine with them all. They're not perfect, any of them, but I haven't had any major malfunctions for a long time. FedEx delivers meals to us every Monday over night in insulated boxes with ice packs in them. They show up same time every week. Sweetwater uses FedEx and I've never had a Sweetwater order get lost or delayed.

I'm getting a banjo today from Banjo Ben's shipped UPS. Banjo Ben's has sent me an email every morning telling me where it is. This morning's email said it was loaded on the truck for delivery. I've not had a seller track a package for me like that before. I also got a tracking number, but they just want to let me know that they are on top of it as well I guess.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 01-31-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:50 AM

Not sure I understand FedEx rationale for the policy that turns off tracking the second they miss the projected delivery time. You can see the truck in the neighborhood but it disappears as soon as the expected delivery time passes. Seems a misguided attempt to avoid accountability but since time of delivery is not a commitment, it’s downright stupid. Not drivers or handlers fault, ivory tower wonk decision.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 01-31-2024, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehorn View Post
Not sure I understand FedEx rationale for the policy that turns off tracking the second they miss the projected delivery time. You can see the truck in the neighborhood but it disappears as soon as the expected delivery time passes. Seems a misguided attempt to avoid accountability but since time of delivery is not a commitment, it’s downright stupid. Not drivers or handlers fault, ivory tower wonk decision.

They don’t want angry customers who just missed a package because they were in the john chasing down their drivers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic