The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

It was an American that taught the Japanese the successful manufacturing processes that brought their car companies success. After the American car companies ignored him.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
The big one to me is all boxer engines are more castings and prone to head gasket issues. Each generation gets better. I wonder if the Outback will be as truly perfect as my 4Runner was at age 15 or age 20 for the kid who bought it.
I don't think boxer engines are more prone to HG issues in general. However, the open-deck design of the case halves of the EJ25 (used extensively in naturally aspirated Subies from ~1998 thru 2011) were definitely problematic.

I love Subies, but that was a real design flaw. Solved with the newer FA and FB engines.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It was an American that taught the Japanese the successful manufacturing processes that brought their car companies success. After the American car companies ignored him.
True at a high level but I worked in the huge amount of commerce that's automotive industry supply and service channel. My employer who was very innovative and studied Demming and had early multi-axis Okuma machines would come back from Japan and good US businesses pointing out philosophical differences.

As silly as it sounds now, that employer's niche was making parts more round than others. GM, Deere, a marine engine maker, and hydraulics part maker sent their work including fixturing to us. We measured how round parts were as they were made. GM was taking a sample after they were made. Something so simple made that terrible boss a rich man.

Even when some domestic makers got that technology and redid lines, I remember that guy making some trips within the US pointing out Toyota was still making engines with fewer people and higher quality.

I was a production manager. The smart companies got on working out an issue when parts weren't right. The idiot old school people screamed at me about costs when we stopped for quality. They still wanted to send thousands of bad parts down the line.

My other lesson in that time in the 1980s that showed our future came because I worked with people from all over the world. I was realizing our fantasy of thinking everything American was best. I realized how smart and hard working people are all over the world. I feared my country was going to get it's butt kicked not realizing that. I moved to tech in 1989. That was even more exposure to smart people all over.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
My '95 Subaru Legacy has a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks you're dead on the side of the road, but you can just sling a new belt on there and you're good to go!
Yep. That's the way to go, for me - "Non-Interference"!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I have owned mostly Toyota products since 1985.

Twenty two of them in total!

This was verified a couple of years ago after I had some fuel delivery issues with a 9 year old Lexus IS250.Toyota head office had a detailed record of every one I purchased(new) from them.They covered the work on the Lexus beyond the 7 year power train warranty(about 4$K worth.This was because of my "loyalty"....

For the most part, all of those vehicles were VERY reliable.

I'm only familiar with Honda by their motorcycles,not their cars.They seem to be good until some engine issues and oil burning after 7 years of driving...

Nissan has definitely slipped in overall quality since the late 1990s.

I made the mistake of being a new "American" car back in 1996.Right off the lot it started to leak and after 6 months was in the shop about 5 different times for various defects.Sold it and bought a Nissan which never had any problems.

Gabe
Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

That's an awesome vehicle. We have a FJ Cruiser that is about 12 years old.... I have a 2010 Honda hybrid that I love but need to replace before the hybrid battery goes. But I hate buying new cars...

Where do people buy used cars reputably? Car Max? How old of car would you buy, and how much mileage?

[Sorry if I am off topic]
Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
That's an awesome vehicle. We have a FJ Cruiser that is about 12 years old.... I have a 2010 Honda hybrid that I love but need to replace before the hybrid battery goes. But I hate buying new cars...

Where do people buy used cars reputably? Car Max? How old of car would you buy, and how much mileage?

[Sorry if I am off topic]
Some independent car repair places have used car licensing even if not advertising as used car dealer. One near me will buy a good car from their customers. That's the story of the low mileage Camry we have that's mostly driven by kids.

I've noticed estate sales and an older person going to assisted living puts good used cars for sale.

Not a bargain, but factory authorized used cars are a safer bet. This might not be current practice but one time I bought a car where the lease went bad from the finance company. That was a barely year old car at big savings with the remainder of the factory warranty.

In big college town areas you have kids here from different countries who become motivated sellers when they graduate and have no more visa or some other terms that mean go home. In my area that means some decent cars and on occasion special ones. As an example I was almost silly enough to buy a BMW M3 at a less than wholesale or auction cost because the kid was 10 days from his flight back to Malaysia. More common examples are Civics, Golfs, Corollas and Accords.

My experience outside of mostly new cars has been close to new or older low mileage vehicles.

Closer to topic, getting the used Camry also spotlighted that it and some others are not just reliable but easy to repair. Yes, it is a boring car compared to our others but does fits the role and does the job perfectly.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Where do people buy used cars reputably? Car Max?

We got a carmax car not long ago, I found the price to be OK
(not the cheapest), the selection to be good and I think they
probably vet the cars they sell as "carmax cars" pretty well...

I hear that carvana.com (no personal experience) is worth
checking in to.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Congrats to the OP on his new SUV purchase. With the exception of a recent lapse in judgement, when I owned two Mercedes-Benz vehicles and paid as much in maintenance as I was in monthly car payments, I have owned only Japanese cars for the last 23 years. All of them have been incredibly reliable, offering great comfort and features for a reasonable price. We've owned our current vehicles (2013 Lexus RX 350, 2015 Acura TLX) for two years, and it's been only maintenance (oil changes, one air filter, new tires), so I'm back to extremely happy again. I wish the OP the same with his Toyota!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Where do people buy used cars reputably? Car Max?

We got a carmax car not long ago, I found the price to be OK
(not the cheapest), the selection to be good and I think they
probably vet the cars they sell as "carmax cars" pretty well...

I hear that carvana.com (no personal experience) is worth
checking in to.

-Mike
I've purchased several cars from Carmax. I found their trade in and sales price to be spot-on with my online assessments each time, and I love the no-haggle pricing. The purchased cars have been clean, and they've taken care of issues quickly and without much issue.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I love the no-haggle pricing.
So is it really no haggle?

They won't entertain offers?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-24-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
So is it really no haggle?

They won't entertain offers?
Correct. The price is what's listed on the window, and the same with their trade in estimates. It makes things simple... take it or leave it, no pressure. Also, the employees are paid by the unit, not by the price, so they get paid the same, whether they sell you a 10yo Kia or a 1yo Mercedes-Benz. This is good b/c it guarantees that you get what you want to buy, not simply what they want to sell to you.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I have not bought from Carnac but I have sold two cars to them. Easy breezy. I may check with them as I consider getting a car this year. Costco auto program is a great option too. Bought my 2010 Honda that way.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:56 PM

I sold my Step Side Silverado and got a Tacoma back in 2007. The Silverado had a V8, two gas tanks, engine rebuilt twice, tranny once, and the exhaust manifold was warped.

The Tacoma just hit 200,000 and got new tires, the 4th set. Brakes are good. Valve cover gasket starting to show oil.

I bought my son a ‘93 Corolla wagon three years ago and my father-in-law a 2003 Corolla sedan last month.

Our combined mileage is almost 600,000.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic