The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM

Default NGD guild m20...saddle height?

I just received a guild m20, very nice sounding guitar and seems to be built pretty well, but the saddle is giving me a bit of a pause.

The strings are definitely below .5" from the top (though I rarely see martins that meet this criteria) and the action could go down just a touch for my liking. It's just above 2.25mm right now. Would this worry you? I bought it new so I could just send it back, but I wonder if I'm not just being too picky.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondWafers View Post
I just received a guild m20, very nice sounding guitar and seems to be built pretty well, but the saddle is giving me a bit of a pause.

The strings are definitely below .5" from the top (though I rarely see martins that meet this criteria) and the action could go down just a touch for my liking. It's just above 2.25mm right now. Would this worry you? I bought it new so I could just send it back, but I wonder if I'm not just being too picky.
Did you check the neck was straight before you measured? I get what you mean it’s borderline. I don’t think your being picky - if you want the action down but still want a reasonable break angle you may need to get them to send you a replacement.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-19-2020, 01:48 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Did you check the neck was straight before you measured? I get what you mean it’s borderline. I don’t think your being picky - if you want the action down but still want a reasonable break angle you may need to get them to send you a replacement.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The neck has just the tiniest bit of relief, so all good on that front too.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:22 PM

2.25 mm is .088" and that's a fairly ordinary low E height. My Taylor came from the factory at .090" and the Guild dreadnought I bought last month came from the shop's setup guy exactly the same. You might like it a little lower, and that's not wrong, and 2.25 mm is also not wrong.

I'd love to get my hands on an M20 -- hope you enjoy yours.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:30 PM

If the guitar sounds great and the neck relief is where you want it you can always just sand down the saddle a tad. It doesn't take much and is easy. Google the process until you are confident and just go for it.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Custom Guitars

How does it sound?
Old 02-19-2020, 03:51 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm really just referring to the neck angle, not the action. I know I can get the action where I like it (just a touch under what it is right now) but the question is whether or not the neck angle being so low will wind up being a future issue. My OM28's strings are well above the 1/2" mark from the fretboard and it has an action lower than this guitar.

And it does sound quite good, but maybe not "pay for a neck reset in 2-3 years" good.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm really just referring to the neck angle, not the action. I know I can get the action where I like it (just a touch under what it is right now) but the question is whether or not the neck angle being so low will wind up being a future issue. My OM28's strings are well above the 1/2" mark from the fretboard and it has an action lower than this guitar.

And it does sound quite good, but maybe not "pay for a neck reset in 2-3 years" good.
Oh I see!! that is a different animal for sure. I agree that worrying about a future neck reset is not ideal. If you have concerns I would send it back.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Ah, gotcha. Maybe this is worth checking out?

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html
Old 02-19-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsawaggin View Post
Ah, gotcha. Maybe this is worth checking out?

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html
Thanks for that! Very clarifying!!
scott
Old 02-22-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Any update on this? I was looking into buying a new M20 but I am concerned if they are coming out of the factory like this. Design flaw or is it an isolated incident? Any luthiers with any input?
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm really just referring to the neck angle.... but the question is whether or not the neck angle being so low will wind up being a future issue....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsawaggin View Post
Right. I don't see that you've checked the neck angle, which tailsawaggin's link shows how to do. This is the neck angle test:

Quote:
"...pushing the straightedge toward the bridge I'd like to see it "land" right on top of the wooden part of the bridge."
That saddle and bridge look fine, with plenty of break angle. Can't really tell about the neck angle without doing the straightedge test.

Well, OK, the string distance to the soundboard at the bridge is also a pretty good neck angle test. You've got what looks like 7/16 inch, and ideal would be "about" 8/16 inch, as quoted in the link. You're pretty darn close!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-22-2020, 08:51 PM

I don't tend to put a lot of stock into the straight edge test; I've done it to 4-5 modern martins and not one had the straight edge above the bridge, it was always just under it.

As far as the m20 goes, I think I'll keep it. I like how this one sounds and I'd rather not send it back and get one with worse issues or one that didn't sound as good.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:34 PM

Carbucci, For what it’s worth, I’ve had my Oxnard M20 for close to 2 years. no issues beyond the normal maintenance. It gets played daily and has opened up nicely. My luthier checked mine out shortly after I purchased it to give it a once over during the return period. He found it to be well made and structurally sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion