The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 05:29 AM

Default Going from a FG to FS

I was just wondering will it throw my guitar playing off? I've had a FG700 for the past 10 years which I mainly use for fingerpicking style but my arm does tend to ache resting over the top of it and after reading about the FS it seems this might help. Although I am used to playing the FG.

But saying that I have a NTX nylon string guitar which seems considerably smaller than the FG700 I have. I also have a telecaster electric which I use. This FG I have is bigger than both.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:39 AM

The FG is large, with 16.25” width at the lower bout, more than the Martin dreadnought, I feel it at the shoulder after a short period of time. The FS is almost equivalent to an OM in dimension, slightly deeper body, but string spacing at the bridge is a narrow 2” which I guess many would find impractical for fingerpicking - only you will know what works for you in that department. Scale length is 25” and neck profile is different from the FG, also. The neck on the FS is one of my favourite things about that guitar - another matter of personal preference.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I had FG's and dreads for many years but got rid of them all for comfort purposes. I actually play better now with the FS and small body sizes.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:06 AM

My guess would be a very short adjustment period and you'll be fine.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-22-2020, 12:54 PM

I have both, the FG700 and FS820. I alternate between them regularly. They have the same nut width and string spacing, so no problems there. As said earlier, the scale length is shorter, but it doesn’t interfere with my playing at all, still very similar in feel. But I switch between SG and Strats easily also.

My FS820 is a very comfortable and easy playing guitar. I play it in the evenings while leaning all the way back on the couch. With the dreads I usually lean forward and sit on the edge to play comfortably.

Btw, one thing I was surprised about, is that this little 820 makes a BIG sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion