The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Thank you KevWind for the exceptional wisdom! And I could definitely use the encouragement. With my abilities, I feel like trying to learn Russian or Chinese, and struggling with “hello,” & “goodbye!”

Here is the audio interface that I am looking at, but I have no idea how to classify it, and I would say that it is at the top end of what I’d be willing to spend:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Aud.../dp/B0794P3R35

I also found out that the condenser mic I ordered was actually better suited for acoustic guitars than electric (perfectly fine), but certainly news to me! : )

Anyway, I absolutely beyond sympathize with the OP’s pain...
Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsforlife View Post
Thank you KevWind for the exceptional wisdom! And I could definitely use the encouragement. With my abilities, I feel like trying to learn Russian or Chinese, and struggling with “hello,” & “goodbye!”

Here is the audio interface that I am looking at, but I have no idea how to classify it, and I would say that it is at the top end of what I’d be willing to spend:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Aud.../dp/B0794P3R35

I also found out that the condenser mic I ordered was actually better suited for acoustic guitars than electric (perfectly fine), but certainly news to me! : )

Anyway, I absolutely beyond sympathize with the OP’s pain...
OK so say $300-$500 max for an interface That will get you into what I would call start of mid range (price wise) interface and now days that range comes with pretty decent preamps and conversion. And will serve you well into the future.

That UAD unit is a great little unit (however note that it needs a Thunderbolt 3 connection) for connecting to your computer. And it has only two mic preamps (Which may be fine depending on your needs and intentions) But there are a number good units in that price range .

Backing up a bit :
So now for goals and needs : do you play and sing or just play guitar ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-30-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

The UA Arrow is a nice unit but there are some things you should be aware of going in...

1. It gets hot. The first comment from almost every new user is one expressing concern about how hot the unit gets. It's not "burn your fingers" hot but it's hotter than you'd expect.

2. The UAD system relies on dsp power (sharc chips). The arrow has one chip, so the number of UAD plugins you'd be able to use at the same time will be very limited. UAD has an instance chart that shows you how much dsp processing power each plugin takes up. The chart is based on using a 44.1 sample rate. If you use a higher sample rate (48, 96, or 192), each plugin will use even more dsp power. If you stick to 44.1, you'll have enough dsp to use a unison preamp (what UA calls their preamp emulations) on a stereo track on the way in. It's not so much on the tracking side that you'll find the single sharc chip limiting, it's on the mixing side (there are workarounds to the one chip limit). UA does sell satellite units to give you more dsp for mixing. They run about $800 for a 4 chip quad unit and $1200 for an 8 chip Octo. You also have the option of using third party plugins that use your iMac's cpu rather than dsp from your Arrow.

UAD Instance Chart

3. You'll initially need a set of headphones (closed back is best for tracking) and at some point you're going to need to invest in a pair of decent audio monitors for mixing. Your iMac speaker isn't going to cut it.

4. You'll need microphones and cables. The Arrow doesn't accept USB mics. So you'll need to stick to condensers, dynamics, or ribbons (I'm not sure if the Arrow has enough gain to push a ribbon or some dynamics). Condensers are most common. No matter which mics you choose, you'll need XLRmale-XLRfemale cables to connect them to the arrow (don't use TRS-XLR cables for microphones).

5. The Arrow is a Thunderbolt 3 unit. If your iMac only has TB2, you'll need the TB3-TB2 adapter which runs about $50. I'd steer clear of third party adapters as many just don't work very well.

6. Make sure your computer is up to the task:
Arrow System Requirements
Note: For complete compatibility information, visit help.uaudio.com.
• Mac or Windows computer with available Thunderbolt 3 port
• Thunderbolt 3 cable (sold separately)
• (Mac) macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, or 10.14 Mojave
• (Win) Windows 10 (64-Bit Edition)
• 6 gigabytes available storage• Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
• Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended

7. Arrow comes with UAD's Console software. I can't comment a whole lot on that because I have outboard gear and never use it. I know people track through it but I'm not sure if you can mix and export wav files from it so I think you'll also need daw software.

8. If you get the Arrow, I'd suggest joining some of the UAD groups on Facebook. They can be a bit snarky but you'll get your questioned answered. There a UA employee who answers questions in some of those groups. His FB handle is "Drew at UA" and I think his entire job is being a social media liaison. He's very responsive.

The Arrow is a nice unit. The dsp, though limited on that model, is still useful for shifting some of the load off your computer's cpu. And since you can still use third-party plugins, you're not limited by anything other than what your computer can handle.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 01-30-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Be aware that many powered usb hubs will not supply the power required unless connected to a computer. Your iPad may not work in this configuration. I use the apple adapter (I think its called a usb 3 adapter) that plugs into the iPad and has both a usb and a lightning port. Connect the lightning port to your adapter and plug your device into the usb port. Using my Zoom interface this works fine and charges the iPad at the same time. It also works with my Steinberg UR22 unless I need phantom power ... then I have to plug in the supplemental 5v power supply.

Link to the adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...apter?fnode=91
My experience is similar. I use my zoom as an interface to record directly to my ipad, bypassing the zoom's internal storage. I connect with the camera cord connection linked above, and use one of these to power it up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is just simpler and quieter for me to use the ipad, rather than transfer zoom files to my ancient desktop and into a daw. I sometimes use an inexpensive simple daw on the ipad (multitrack daw is its name), but have also had good results with the free music memos app for ipad which is dead simple.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
OK so say $300-$500 max for an interface That will get you into what I would call start of mid range (price wise) interface and now days that range comes with pretty decent preamps and conversion. And will serve you well into the future.
That is definitely in the mid-range. However, the "low end", $150-250, is still very good and quite acceptable for most beginners and even well beyond. Something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (two combination inputs with decent mic preamps) can be had for $150; even less used. It's a low investment that will last you if your goals are modest, but won't put you out if you decide to upgrade later.

For the next step, KevWind's question: are you just playing guitar? Singing too? Other instruments? This will determine what sort of microphones or other gear you will want to connect to that interface.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 PM

Thanks a ton guys! This is like a Bible for me to refer back to. Yes, I play and sing—usually at the same time. Though I’ve been told two mics will help balance the volume levels of the two.

I was looking hard at that exact Focusrite, then got confused when I went and saw a picture with four different models. Next, I was told that there is another brand that gets universally better reviews, in that same price range. Which is why I decided I’m nowhere near smart enough to make an even semi informed decision, regardless of research.

So, the one I cited, was actually recommended by a Youtuber. Figuring, here’s someone who does this for a living, and maybe it won’t be my cup of tea, but it’s someplace to start, and I’ll at least learn something.

Virtually all of the technical info you’ve listed is completely Greek to me. I need to know this. So, thank you! I will begin to study it. You’ve saved me mountains of trouble, and I’ll just like to apologize to the OP for sidetracking this thread.

Hopefully, there was something that might have been of some benefit to you, too. Looks like my computer isn’t strong enough (intel CORE i3); & believe it or not, I don’t even have a Facebook!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I have the Scarlett with two inputs and I also have a Zoom H5. I have had good results with both. I use two AT2035 mics.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I was looking hard at that exact Focusrite, then got confused when I went and saw a picture with four different models. Next, I was told that there is another brand that gets universally better reviews, in that same price range.
What brand? Focusrite is pretty well regarded. And, tbh, if you're just getting started just about any recent-model interface with enough inputs will do. And for most home recordists, two inputs (two mics, or a guitar and a mic, or say stereo keyboard) is plenty, as you're only recording one or two tracks at a time anyway.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I was looking hard at that exact Focusrite, then got confused when I went and saw a picture with four different models.
You may have seen the 2i2, the 2i4, the 4i4, the 8i6. More features as you go up the line.
I'd recommend not going whole-hog in to start out with - the 2i2 will be fine for you.
You certainly don't anything like the UA with dsp (FYI, this is an internal digital processor, meaning FX, etc).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 AM

So, am I understanding you correctly, Rudy4, that something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...handy-recorder | will work better for me (be easier in terms of learning curve, at least for just getting started?). I cited this example because used the mic I bought, someone wrote a review who seemed quite proficient, and this was what they said they used.

Oh, yes! It was the one you all thought it was and stated: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First (AMS-SCARLETT-2I2-3G) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR73T66..._bGyoEbHD1XGWH | I’m starting to lean in that direction (I heard the Claret is far superior, but have not explored it..).

I’d eventually like to graduate into something more sophisticated like the UA Arrow mentioned!
Old 02-21-2020, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
THIS is why I recommend a stand alone recorder such as a Tascam DR-05 for "simple" recording. Some of them will operate just fine as a USB microphone, so no need to get a special usb mic, plus you can use them anywhere without dragging another device to tether it to.

Once a stand alone recorder is used to capture your audio then the resulting files can be transferred to a computer for further editing.
+1
The place to start

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD