The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2020, 04:42 AM

Default Is a headphone output really necessary?

I am interested in buying an Acus One 6 amplifier for its excellent sound and good price, but it has no headphone output (or mute or anti-feedback). Since I am going to use it to play in small venues with a classical guitar and an acoustic guitar, I do not know if the fact that it does not bring headphones output can be inconvenient. Is the headphone output very useful?

Thanks for your advice
Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
I am interested in buying an Acus One 6 amplifier for its excellent sound and good price, but it has no headphone output (or mute or anti-feedback). Since I am going to use it to play in small venues with a classical guitar and an acoustic guitar, I do not know if the fact that it does not bring headphones output can be inconvenient. Is the headphone output very useful?

Thanks for your advice
IMHO they mostly just used for "Quiet" practicing, with an acoustic guitar, it's never "silent" to the same degree of an electric.

I have three amps with one, two guitar amps one acoustic amp, I've never used it in any of them.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
IMHO they mostly just used for "Quiet" practicing, with an acoustic guitar, it's never "silent" to the same degree of an electric.

I have three amps with one, two guitar amps one acoustic amp, I've never used it in any of them.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it seems very significant. It is true that classical and acoustic guitars produce a sound that is not compatible with quiet practicing.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:58 AM

I see no use for having a headphone jack on an "acoustic" amp...however I do use it on one of my electric practice amps...great sound thru it and keeps peace in the house when I want to practice late or early am....then they are a must.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it seems very significant. It is true that classical and acoustic guitars produce a sound that is not compatible with quiet practicing.
true.

that said, I tend to like using my loudbox, when practicing, or playing in my living room. I dial just enough volume in to about equal the volume of the guitar, adding a bit of reverb for ambiance.

My beloved does not seem to mind unless she's also in there trying to watch a stupid hallmark movie.. That's when I migrate to the studio room in our basement.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I see no use for having a headphone jack on an "acoustic" amp...however I do use it on one of my electric practice amps...great sound thru it and keeps peace in the house when I want to practice late or early am....then they are a must.
I agree with you 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Old 02-10-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
true.

that said, I tend to like using my loudbox, when practicing, or playing in my living room. I dial just enough volume in to about equal the volume of the guitar, adding a bit of reverb for ambiance.

My beloved does not seem to mind unless she's also in there trying to watch a stupid hallmark movie.. That's when I migrate to the studio room in our basement.
Fortunately you have the basement! 😉
Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 AM

It seems that in terms of “quiet practising” the headphone output is not a must in the case of acoustic guitar amplifiers. But I wonder if the headphone output has any utility in other context: when playing live, for example to use it with a jack to mute the amplifier and tune (in case it does not have a “Mute” button). Because this model don’t have neither.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Fortunately you have the basement! 😉
truly a blessing I use daily..
Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I have a very cheap Behringer amp with a headphone jack that, before I got my Boss VE-8, I used a lot for home practice. I used it specifically for practicing working with a mic. With both the guitar and mic in the mix, it was great to sharpen my ability to play guitar and stay stationary enough to sing into the mic. I live in an apartment building and I could never do that regularly without piping that through the headphones. As far as my neighbors are concerned I'm just singing acoustically, and I've never gotten a complaint.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:56 PM

Just to pose an alternate idea....

Other than band or larger ensemble situations or home playing.. I don't see the need for amps anymore.

For gigging at any level you get much more flexibility from a compact powered speaker ala a CP8, ZXA1 or similar and a compact mixer with enough inputs for instruments and mics if needed/wanted... Notepad 12fx, Zed 20, Yam..etc..

More cables n bits n bobs maybe.. Stands.. meh.. all can fit in a large duffel with maybe stands if used strapped outside. Aint too hard... just a thought.

Kris
Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 AM

Thank you, krisls. Your idea has its advantages, but I want to avoid cables, buttons and complications, I want to go easy, Plug and Play.

The most practical for me is a high quality acoustic amplifier. Precisely now there is a pair of second-hand AER Compact 60 around here, but with signs of use aesthetically ($ 550 with gigbag), and I am doubting between an used AER or a new Acus One 6 or Schertler Jam 100 (both arouns $ 700 with gigbag).
Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 AM

Not for me...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification