The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I stare at my Nest camera's image of the driveway, checking every seven minutes to see if the UPS guys came, then calling home to make sure someone brings it inside. Then I stare at the clock at work on the verge of spontaneous combustion.

Once I get home I let it acclimate gently and go through a step-by-step depending on the season and weather.

But the real stuff I do is this:

I give it a thorough visual inspection, checking for damage, cracks, hidden repairs and any undisclosed defects.

I play it and make sure it plays/sounds OK.

Then I do a close examination of the action, getting an idea what it is like and needs. I also check the current string gauge to get an idea of action vs string gauge (because I will put 11-52's on it).

If something is wrong I return it immediately and without any further wasted time (this rarely ever happens).

Then I take the the strings off and almost always install a brand new Tusq nut and saddle (unless they are really pristine).

I thoroughly clean the fretboard, level, crown & polish the frets if needed including sharp fret edges.

I check the tuners and remove/clean/replace/polish as necessary.

Then I put a set of used 11-52 strings on it (I keep them around just for testing the action with specific tension). I will check and adjust the relief and action as much as possible to my liking (except not doing a neck reset).

If after all that it plays perfectly, feels great, sounds great and has great action - I will remove those junker strings and declare it a keeper (for now).

If something is amiss I will usually consider returning it.

Once it's a keeper, I will consider removing the pick guard, as is my preference.

Then I thoroughly clean/polish the body, lemon oil the fretboard and reassemble anything removed.

At this point I reinstall new 11-52 strings and (usually) new bridge pins.

I also install my own preference for strap buttons (i have different choices for different guitars), along with a new strap (chosen to match the guitar).

Then usually 1-2 days later, I consider it "mine" and start playing it. I'll take photos, post an NGD announcement and enjoy it.

Then the bonding starts (or not).

If I don't bond right away, I stubbornly give it some time but usually sell it off in much better condition than I received it.

But I consider that time "well spent" since I got to test drive a guitar exactly the way I want it for as long as I want to.

I currently have five guitars (two 6-string acoustics, one 12-string acoustic and two electrics) and I am still in love with each one of them. But over the years, I've probably cycled through two or three dozen guitars. I tend to go through this process about once every 6 months nowadays.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 AM

Your routine is your business, but personally, if I sold someone I guitar, I would be less than amused if they tried to return it after they'd replaced the nut and filed the frets. In fact, it would not be coming back, sorry; it either comes back exactly as it left or it doesn't come back at all. It becomes "yours" the moment you make a change you can't undo. Change the strings all you want, that's fine, but if it's not "yours" yet then it's still "mine" and I do not like people attacking "my" guitars with files without my permission. Having read that, I would genuinely never be willing to sell you a guitar, sorry. Whether or not your qualified and careful is beside the point. Do you go into guitar shops with your fret files when looking to make a purchase?

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I usually inspect it, play it for a bit, and then give it a thorough wipe-down. It's amazing how much dirt, grime, and oils can be sitting on a new guitar. And then inspect it a little more closely, while I change the strings to my preferred type. My luthier keeps hours on Tue & Thur, which determines when I will bring it to him for an inspection and setup. Lastly, depending on the guitar, it may get a new pickguard, but those usually take a couple of weeks to get in.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:21 PM

The last time I bought an acoustic guitar I drove home from the store and played it some more. After a time I changed the strings.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-26-2020, 06:30 PM

A very quick visual inspection (if it came in the mail) and then play it with a smile. Then I'll inspect it some more.

Then I need to make a decision on which guitar that's currently on a wall hanger is being designated to the floor stand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion