The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Adding a soundhole pickup to a K&K setup

I wonder if any of you have ever tried wiring in a soundhole pickup, like a Baggs M1 passive, to a K&K Pure Mini setup. The K&K is of course good but it lacks articulation and the soundhole pickups seem to do a good job there.

The K&K output jack is stereo, so I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to wire in the M1 and run them through a stereo mixing preamp. Are the outputs between the two relatively similar, or is this is a non-starter?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLiver View Post
I wonder if any of you have ever tried wiring in a soundhole pickup, like a Baggs M1 passive, to a K&K Pure Mini setup. The K&K is of course good but it lacks articulation and the soundhole pickups seem to do a good job there.

The K&K output jack is stereo, so I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to wire in the M1 and run them through a stereo mixing preamp. Are the outputs between the two relatively similar, or is this is a non-starter?

Thanks for any advice.
You're on the correct path. One pickup to the tip, the other to the ring, both to ground. Your choice as which pickup is to the tip or ring. Use a TRS cable out of the guitar to whatever two channel blender you choose. Some will accept a TRS and split the signal between the two channels for you. Some won't and you'll need to use a Y cable at the blender end. For the best possible sound and versatility, having separate gain and eq for each pickup prior to blending/mixing is critical.

The SBT/mag dual source is a proven performer for many folks. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:03 PM

I am on this trail, M1A + K&K. Since the M1A is active it goes on the tip of the TRSS and the K&K on the ring. I'm curious how anyone else mixes or EQ's them.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLiver View Post
…The K&K output jack is stereo, so I'm thinking it would be pretty easy to wire in the M1 and run them through a stereo mixing preamp. Are the outputs between the two relatively similar…
Hi BL

Why would it even matter that the outputs be similar if you are going into a stereo preamp with individual channel adjustment plus master volume output? All my two channel preamps (I own 4) have individual channel control over input gain, tone, phase, and in the case of 3 of them, phantom power to internal microphones.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-02-2020, 05:07 AM

I had a K&K with a Fishman Blackstack and they sounded great together - so good I'm putting it back there next week. It only came out when I was having some work done on the top and I thought I might try a M80 instead of the Blackstack but having had some issues with the M80, it's a no-brainer to put the Blackstack back in there.

I think a Dimarzio Angel/Black Angel would do just as well. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification