The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default One Month o' Gigs & QSC CP-8 Review

I'm using the CP-8 as an acoustic amp w/ just guitar.

Signal chain: Martin 00-15m>Fishman Blackstack>Fishman ToneDEQ>CP-8.

This month I played two size rooms and two situations, a BBQ restaurant on the small side w/ an acoustic duo and a medium sized club w/ two other guitarists and a stand up bass player, four piece band and a full dance floor.

Coverage: I was concerned that w/ the band I might not be able to compete and have enough dynamic range for solos. Last night the place was packed so it was the best test so far. Add to that we had one guy playing through a Fender Deluxe Reverb and the other guitarist playing through the PA. Here the Fishman ToneDEQ was a blessing w/ it's boost function. I have it set to add just a little boost, maybe 3-4db. The output on the Blackstack is pretty low so I have the volume set high on both the CP-8 and the ToneDEQ w/ no issues. Even w/ the boost volume bump there's no distortion or low end feedback. A few folks posted iPhone videos on social media and the three guitars and bass blended perfectly.

Tone: Well, I'm spoiled. My acoustic amp has been a Schertler Jam 400, I've used it the last 4-5 years and it's the gold standard for me, best I've plugged in to. But it's 50lbs and cumbersome to tote, i was looking for a lighter alternative when it's just me plugging in. It took a few gigs for the CP-8's speakers to break in and smooth out, I could tell the difference half way through the month. Again the Fishman ToneDEQ makes the difference, good EQ and better than average reverb. Makes it easy to dial in the sound for different rooms. The EQ section on the Schertler is quite nice and the ToneDEQ works just as well. The CP-8 rig sounds almost as good as the Jam 400, which is still way better than most.

Tote-ability: With ease I can grab up the CB-8, a small pedaltrain w/ the ToneDEQ and tuner, my chord bag, a rubbermaid stool for the CP-8 and one guitar to make the load-in one trip. Very happy about that.

All and all I've very happy w/ the rig, saves my old back w/ the load in, the CP-8 satisfies my ears and has enough juice to cover the various situations and venues I play in.

Last edited by stephenT; 12-30-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

This is really good to hear - I also love my Jam 400, and I also hate bringing it to gigs where I just don’t need the inputs and the power, but I hate thinking I’d be giving up the sound. This is sounding more and more like the best option -
Old 12-31-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Stephen-T....Do you run XLR from the ToneDeq to the CP8? If so,
can you adjust the volume on the toneDeq using the xlr output?
For example, the volume control with the Fishman Platinum Pro
only works with 1/4". Thanks.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I use the high Z rather than the XLR, my understanding from the manual is just as you said, the volume control doesn't work w/ the XLR DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
Stephen-T....Do you run XLR from the ToneDeq to the CP8? If so,
can you adjust the volume on the toneDeq using the xlr output?
For example, the volume control with the Fishman Platinum Pro
only works with 1/4". Thanks.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 AM

I've crossed a year with my CP-8 and maybe 3 dozen gigs.

Two guitars, or guitar and bass, plus two vocal mics, and no mixer. I am happy.

My hobby is music not roadie.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I noticed the picture has me playing my Waterloo (which sounds great through the rig). I really like the Fishman Blackstack soundhole pickup. I recently switched from Sunrise pickups after 20 years. The Blackstack sounds a tad better, it's lighter and smaller. I have a spare and it installs in a minute w/o slacking the strings so it's easy to bring different guitars on the gig w/o installing a permanent pickup.

Last edited by stephenT; 01-01-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Two guitars, or guitar and bass, plus two vocal mics, and no mixer. I am happy.
That is impressive. Do you put it up in a stand? I'm surprised at how much difference the cabinet position makes,.. horizontal or vertical, on or off the floor.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:25 AM

Always on a stand.

XLR Y and a 3.5 mm TRS to dual mono 1/4" TS for the mixing:

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-29-2021, 05:22 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm wondering how a pair of CP8's on stands would a medium size restaurant space, or outdoor deck situation.

I'm in a new project that is just me on acoustic guitar with a singer, and was borrowing a friend's Atlo TS210's but they won't be available to me this coming weekend. I have a pair of CP8's though and I'm hoping they'll do the trick. I've only ever used one of them as a monitor so I don't know how they handle a larger or outdoor space.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:53 AM

The cp8 is my main pa.
i pair it with a schertler
sub and it sounds great.
plenty of power and
low end with the sub.
for smaller quieter settings
the sub stays home.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
The cp8 is my main pa.
i pair it with a schertler
sub and it sounds great.
plenty of power and
low end with the sub.
for smaller quieter settings
the sub stays home.
Thank you, this is just what I was hoping to hear. I'm feeling pretty confident about using the two I have. I was hoping to grab a pair of CP12's just to have a bit more oomph available, but they're backordered everywhere.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:43 AM

We use a pair for monitors but I’d have no doubts they’d do a good job for a small gig. Next to our K10.2s you can absolutely tell the difference but that’s to be expected.

We’ve set up our K8s as a rehearsal rig as well and I was surprised how good they sounded with a little EQ.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

My hobby is music not roadie.
My vote for the official AGF T shirt for 2021!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
We use a pair for monitors but I’d have no doubts they’d do a good job for a small gig. Next to our K10.2s you can absolutely tell the difference but that’s to be expected.

We’ve set up our K8s as a rehearsal rig as well and I was surprised how good they sounded with a little EQ.
Id love to grab a pair of K10.2’s but they’re a bit out of reach financially at the moment. I was also thinking of a pair of CP12’s but they’re back ordered everywhere. The 8’s will have to do and I’ll see how it goes. I set them up at home today to at least hear how they sounded and it was great. I’m just hoping they’ll put out enough sound if we need it.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:52 PM

Some really great deals were offered on the CP12s for a while (just a few bucks more than the CP8s)
and now folks say they out of stock every where. Make me wonder what’s up. Phased out?
Updated? Replaced? Dunno.

_Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification