The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 AM

Those look pretty cool. Tempted to try to snag one at some point.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I think the same model with equal specs would cost significantly more if made in the US, with the only difference being the price.
I had a Boden 6 trem last year and, ultimately, decided to return it. That wasn't an easy decision because there were a ton of things I really liked about it: The small size, light weight, and ergonomics are pretty much unique. It was also exceedingly easy to play. At the same time, the fact that it was so small and light almost made it feel like a toy!

In the end, I coudn't quite square the cost (I'm in the UK) with the build quality on offer. Bizarrely, a USA Suhr Pro or Musicman Cutlass costs far less here than an Indonesian Strandberg but has way better fit and finish. The flame top on mine was also incredibly lame for a guitar that cost me over 2K GBP.

If Ola gets these made by someone with the QC of Suhr etc. I'd be back in in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I had a Boden 6 trem last year and, ultimately, decided to return it. That wasn't an easy decision because there were a ton of things I really liked about it: The small size, light weight, and ergonomics are pretty much unique. It was also exceedingly easy to play. At the same time, the fact that it was so small and light almost made it feel like a toy!

In the end, I coudn't quite square the cost (I'm in the UK) with the build quality on offer. Bizarrely, a USA Suhr Pro or Musicman Cutlass costs far less here than an Indonesian Strandberg but has way better fit and finish. The flame top on mine was also incredibly lame for a guitar that cost me over 2K GBP.

If Ola gets these made by someone with the QC of Suhr etc. I'd be back in in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Steve
Surprisingly the Suhrs are significantly more here in the US, with the same pickups as the Strandberg. I ordered the natural finish because some of the reviews complained about the quality of the black and red tops. The matte finish and visual quality of mine is excellent, and I wonder if the colored finishes would be better if gloss. Hopefully Ola will be able to continually improve the production quality. If it wasn’t for the ergonomic body design, quality of the proprietary hardware, and EndurNeck, mine would have gone back, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Congratulations on your Strandberg!
Are you still happy with it?
PS> If you do a forum wide search for Strandberg, titles only,
this thread is the only one that pops.
You may be the only one here who has one!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Congratulations on your Strandberg!
Are you still happy with it?
PS> If you do a forum wide search for Strandberg, titles only,
this thread is the only one that pops.
You may be the only one here who has one!
Love the Strandberg, and am very satisfied with the whole package - wood selection, materials, proprietary hardware, and build quality. Ergonomically it’s a dream to play, with the contoured body position options, and especially the EndurNeck. I’d love to see a similar neck profile and design on an acoustic guitar. The way the neck is shaped your hand naturally moves in the most comfortable and efficient positions up and down the neck. I’ve found that awareness has improved my playing in general. The Suhr pickups are outstanding.

While I really like my other electrics, if I was ever to downsize to one guitar, it would be my Boden original 6.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 12-04-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Love the Strandberg, and am very satisfied with the whole package - wood selection, materials, proprietary hardware, and build quality. Ergonomically it’s a dream to play, with the contoured body position options, and especially the EndurNeck. I’d love to see a similar neck profile and design on an acoustic guitar. The way the neck is shaped your hand naturally moves in the most comfortable and efficient positions up and down the neck. I’ve found that awareness has improved my playing in general. The Suhr pickups are outstanding.

While I really like my other electrics, if I was ever to downsize to one guitar, it would be my Boden original 6.
Well it's a lovely guitar and I admire your devotion.
I've been looking at strandbergs for years and Sunday I finally pressed the button
on a salen that WAS located in Paris. It's being shipped DHL express and supposed to be here in Qatar before Sunday.
I already have one headless guitar that I like very much.
The balance, technology, and ergonomics of headless guitars appeal to me.
Here's a video of a salen that you may have seen. Same color as the one I ordered except mine is a 1 of 15 LE with holes.
This kid rocks!

Old 12-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

What a sweet looking guitar! Looking forward to the review.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
and it also looks like it could go mach 2 for some speed playing too!! Wow totally cool looking and different. I looked at some of the Kiesel vader style guitars but I do not think I will ever pull the trigger one something like that. However, I think it would be fun to test drive one.
You've missed the whole point of Kiesel. EVERYTHING they build is custom shop. Kiesel will build you anything you want with your choice of woods, pickups, neck dimensions, electronics, etc. They may draw the line if you ask for some weird body shape, but other than that it's your spec.

I think the resurrection of headless guitars (...which died out in the 90's) should be attributed to Carvin/Kiesel, specifically one of their endorsees...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
I think the resurrection of headless guitars (...which died out in the 90's) should be attributed to Carvin/Kiesel, specifically one of their endorsees...
Yes very glad I own one of Holdsworths signature models. Fantastic guitar. RIP Allan.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 PM

I'm not a fan of any headless style guitar aesthetic, BUT, I played a wedding last summer where I played my acoustic blues show for an hour, then a classic rock band followed me. And their guitar player played a Strandberg. He was a total modern player, with his tones come from a very modern multi-FX floorboard with a rack system style amp into one mesa Boogie cabinet. He was using a Strandberg guitar, and he sounded great on every song! And these guys played quite a variety of classic rock tunes along with dance music, and as I said the Strandberg sounded great. He nailed the tones in all the songs they were covering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars