The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Awesome guitar

Just got my Cordoba C10 crossover. It is utterly awesome—great tone, incredible workmanship, and a neck that facilitates easy playability. It suits my style—some classical, some Spanish, lots of fingerpicking. Beats the hell out of classical guitars i’ve owned at a fraction of the price. Very clear, and great bass response in a small guitar, comparatively. Workmanship is A+++.

My Martins will get jealous, since I love my new Cordoba so much!
Martin D-35 1995
Martin 000-28EC, with K&K pure 2013
Taylor 614CE 2005
La Patrie Collection, QT1

Old 03-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr461 View Post
Just got my Cordoba C10 crossover. It is utterly awesome—great tone, incredible workmanship, and a neck that facilitates easy playability. It suits my style—some classical, some Spanish, lots of fingerpicking. Beats the hell out of classical guitars i’ve owned at a fraction of the price. Very clear, and great bass response in a small guitar, comparatively. Workmanship is A+++.

My Martins will get jealous, since I love my new Cordoba so much!
I feel the same about mine and friends that have played it do too. This is not a $3000 serious thoughbred of a classical guitar but for around $1000 it punches way above its price tag. Espiecally for steel string players that are more comfortable on a 1-7/8" nut width and radiused fretboard.

The C9 in cedar/mahogany has a beautiful tone that I like even a little more. But the spruce rosewood is better suited for what I do.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 PM

I own 4 guitars (and played a whole lot more) before trading my Cordoba GK Studio Negra flamenco in for the C10 Crossover. The neck is fantastic and I think the sound, at least in my example, is astounding. The only thing I really missed, and thought I could live without, was the access to the upper frets allowed by the GK's cutaway. After playing it for a while I found I wanted access after all. Not wanting to part with the C10, I simply modified it by adding my own Thurmon style cutaway/soundport.

I tested the procedure out on a $15.00 swapmeet classical before committing in a big way. I am pleased with the results. Believe it or not, removing the side & top sections in the treble side upper bout have had no perceptible, let alone negative, effects on the sound. When played in a more vertical position, it is simply louder. I did this fully understanding it would render my guitar practically worthless in the used marketplace. But I am very pleased with the results. And I am confident I woun't see another one anytime soon. And in my book, that goes to ELEVEN!

DanO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190106_162430888.jpg (35.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190106_162618580.jpg (27.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
... Not wanting to part with the C10, I simply modified it by adding my own Thurmon style cutaway/soundport.

I tested the procedure out on a $15.00 swapmeet classical before committing in a big way. I am pleased with the results. Believe it or not, removing the side & top sections in the treble side upper bout have had no perceptible, let alone negative, effects on the sound. When played in a more vertical position, it is simply louder. I did this fully understanding it would render my guitar practically worthless in the used marketplace. But I am very pleased with the results. And I am confident I won't see another one anytime soon. And in my book, that goes to ELEVEN!

DanO
Holy cow! You're one gutsy guy. I drilled into my New World Player to add a single side fret marker and I felt bad about that tiny alteration. I'd never attempt anything like this.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Holy cow! You're one gutsy guy. I drilled into my New World Player to add a single side fret marker and I felt bad about that tiny alteration. I'd never attempt anything like this.
Well, doing something like this isn't for the casually curious or the faint of heart. I thought about it for quite some time. Once committed I had to work deliberately and carefully.

Once I masked it off and made the initial cuts, the very next step was to reinforce things before going any further. The side got 4 strip braces, 1 on each side of the opening and 2 evenly spaced between them. When I realized how delicate the spruce top really is, I added a small brace across the upper bout behind the opening and then laminated the leading edge with a piece of rosewood veneer.

Although I am very pleased with the results, this is something I NEVER would have done to my James Goodall steel string, or, for that matter, your Kenny Hill. I'm not that crazy.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:44 AM

interesting mod... I'm not sure if I'd want that on the bottom of the guitar. But, I've been considering adding a side port hole to the top of my GK Pro.

I've already added several side markers and upgraded the tuners on it.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM

Now that I got away with moding my C-10 crossover, I have become very curious about taking a guitar building course and making something different. Thinking of having sound port/cutaway in both upper and lower forward bouts and dispensing with the traditional sound hole - similar to Steve Grimes' Beamer nylon guitars. Would need to rework the bracing in order to allow nearly the entire guitar top to produce sound. I think doing something different would be a lot more interesting than simply making a copy of a traditional guitar.

DanO
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
Now that I got away with moding my C-10 crossover, I have become very curious about taking a guitar building course and making something different. Thinking of having sound port/cutaway in both upper and lower forward bouts and dispensing with the traditional sound hole - similar to Steve Grimes' Beamer nylon guitars. Would need to rework the bracing in order to allow nearly the entire guitar top to produce sound. I think doing something different would be a lot more interesting than simply making a copy of a traditional guitar.

DanO
Go check out Jay Lichty, he does what you are talking about on his Ziggy modified baritone ukulele. It's a very attractive design that might interest you.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical