The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 PM

Just a note on the saddle - sand from the top. You want that bottom part that touches the bridge dead flat.

Personally, I don't think you need the whole set of files. I think I started with 3 and now have like 5 or so. I use the same file for multiple sizes. You can rock them side to side as you file to get a bigger notch.

I would caution though that I am no expert and just wanted to learn this so I can make my own guitars play exactly the way I want them to play.

[edit] As for paying a pro to do it - you will get a great job done. But for me, I knew that my playing style would change and I wanted to be able to make tweaks on my own. For example, when I first started playing classical guitar, the action was way too high. So I shaped a nut and saddle to accommodate this. But now, I can't get enough action - so I shaped another set to do this. My high E was on one of my guitars was acting up, so I did a bit of filing at the nut and now it sounds much better. Personally, I think it's a great skill to learn and if you get more technical into it, helps you really understand your instrument.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You have to take extra care with Gibson nuts as they are finished in place.

Right on REDIR, thanks!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert D View Post
I'm building my first guitar and am getting fairly close to the point of making a nut and saddle. What I did was buy 2 unbleached bone nut blanks from StewMac. I also bought a pack of 5 bone nut blanks off ebay for just a few bucks to learn on. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube that will give you some good guidance too. I bought one of those pre-made nuts and it's nice enough but I would rather learn how to do it for the future. Like you said, it's a fun project on its own and you can say you did it. Who know, it may give you the incentive to build your own guitar some day. It's a challenge but it's not a black art. Well maybe a little.
Thats Awesome Albert, Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair