The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Need recommendations on a guitar to take & leave in Africa

I'm gonna be returning to Uganda this year and want to take a guitar with me that I can leave there for some gifted musician. I'm thinking a carbon fiber guitar would be a good choice as it seems it would hold up to the extreme climate there (hot hot hot - its right on the equator).

I have two questions:

1. Are the glued components of these guitars susceptible to heat? For instance, I'm wondering how long a glued on bridge would endure in that climate.

2. Do you have any recommendations for a specific brand?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM

I would say... whatever you can find at a used price!

However, bang-for-the-buck wise, it would be difficult to beat an Emerald X7 or even an X5. Both come new with a gig bag for around $800.

Tough to beat.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I'm gonna be returning to Uganda this year and want to take a guitar with me that I can leave there for some gifted musician. I'm thinking a carbon fiber guitar would be a good choice as it seems it would hold up to the extreme climate there (hot hot hot - its right on the equator).

I have two questions:

1. Are the glued components of these guitars susceptible to heat? For instance, I'm wondering how long a glued on bridge would endure in that climate.

2. Do you have any recommendations for a specific brand?

Thanks!
1) Bridges on RainSong carbon guitars are not only glued on but they are also screwed on with three small nuts and bolts. Do the screws affect tone? Not that I can tell. Also, the glues on carbon guitars are susceptible to heat but I think its in excess of a long-term 120 degrees or so Fahrenheit. I wouldn't leave a carbon guitar, or any guitar, out in direct sunlight in the Tropics, or in latitudes beyond when the sun is at its zenith. In other words, a carbon guitar will last a lifetime in equatorial Africa with modest effort in care. Ashvin Coomar, RainSong President and AGF sponsor, could better answer your question.

2) I've only owned RainSong and pre-Peavey CA carbon guitars. I like the quality and tone of RainSong better.

A player should treat a carbon guitar as they would a fine wooden guitar except for the attention to relative humidity. Although a carbon guitar is more likely to survive a bump or fall that would damage a wooden guitar, they are not made to be abused and if treated decently they'll reward an owner with a lifetime of pretty much carefree play.

Regards,

RainDance (aka SpruceTop when lignified)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-14-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 AM

My guitars have gottin' a bit warm..ok hot here in Phoenix...seems ok to me... might be tuff on strings if it is humid though
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post

I would say... whatever you can find at a used price!

However, bang-for-the-buck wise, it would be difficult to beat an Emerald X7 or even an X5. Both come new with a gig bag for around $800.

Tough to beat.

Emerald would be a great guitar as everything is molded in the process if you are worried about the humidity there. X7OS is the model to run with....the OS really upped the sound versus the x7

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM

I agree... an OS would be the way to go.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Can I ask when you are going? Our team is planning on a trip to Uganda in October. I'll probably be taking my Cargo and my fellow guitarist has a CA crown of thorns model.
Bret
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbret View Post
Can I ask when you are going? Our team is planning on a trip to Uganda in October. I'll probably be taking my Cargo and my fellow guitarist has a CA crown of thorns model.
Bret
Kampala and Masaka. The folks there are awesome - but have so very little. That's why I'd like to leave a guitar there this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber