The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Default >Help Me With Recording Please!!!!

This one goes out to all of you recording experts. I am wanting to get a home setup to start recording my songs. It's mostly acoustic stuff but I would love to play aroung with other things. My initial research is making me lean towards a mac with garage band.

So: What all do I need to start recording at home. Any recommendations?
What kind of mac would you reccomend for a reasonable price?

Also, how much room is there to play around on garage band. I am new to this and don't really have any "tech" buddies. Can you play around with simulated string arrangements or anything like that?

Any Info would really be appreciated!!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Matty

"I've Paid more than I should for things made of wood, but there are few other things that feel near as good"
-Me
Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Hey Matty,
We've all been where you are right now...it can be overwhelming. In my short time in the home recording scene, Tweakhedz is by far the best website to start learning. Here is the forum link.

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/index.php

Another good one is this place.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/

Spend a couple of hours at Tweak and you'll come away with a better understanding of what type of setup might suit your needs.

Good luck!

Danno
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Musical minimalist

I've had excellent results with the Tascam DP-01FX....inexpensive, stand alone recorder with onboard effects and is VERY user friendly. I got it out of the box and was multi-tracking with it in fifteen minutes. In stark contrast....I spent a whole weekend with a Lexicon Omega interface with Cubase software and all I could get was a track that sounded like I was underwater. I'm an old school guy that likes things simple, and the Tascam fit the bill.....

Old 01-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Great! Thanks a bunch for the help Danno and fitness 1!

"I've Paid more than I should for things made of wood, but there are few other things that feel near as good"
-Me
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 AM

You didn't mention the price range to which you wanted to confine yourself. Any of the Macs will be up to the task. Until you let us know the price range, I'll mention the three hundred dollar Zoom H4 which will provide you with a handy digital recorder with built-in microphones, jacks for better microphones in the future and a USB interface for connection to the Mac.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1901

Garageband is a good way to start out. It is free and will allow you to make multi-track recordings. Once you've mastered it, you may find you want additional capabilities or you may find that it is all you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell