The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-03-2020, 04:48 PM

Default Need some advice about Craig's list selling

I know this has been addressed in a few threads on here before, but I've got a couple of electrics I want to sell, and in these "lockdown days" I'm just looking for advice on what to do/not do about selling them on Craig's list.

Thanks.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-04-2020, 08:48 AM

My view is not definitive, but ads I've seen say meet in a public place and wear a mask. I bring a small battery powered amp (Fly 3) whether I'm selling or buying. As either buyer or seller, I'd wear gloves. As buyer, I'd ask to play without gloves. If glove-free play was allowed, then, as seller, I'd wipe down the strings and guitar with a disinfecting wipe.

That's about all I can think of, besides hands clean-up after handling cash.

Good times.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Specify cash only local sale, no trades, and watch out for scams. The most common one involves a cashiers check made out to cover the goods plus shipping. Your bank initially accepts the check, the goods are shipped, and then a week or so later the bank informs you the check was bogus, and you are out the sale price plus shipping.

Be prepared for low ball offers (ignore them,) and that sometimes people will set up an appointment to meet and not show up.

Set a fair price with a little negotiating room. Some people just can’t do a deal without a getting a discount, however small.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-04-2020, 04:33 PM

Cash and carry. Meet in well lit public place. Don't let them put the merchandise in their vehicle until you got the cash. I just did a trade. It went smoothly. No handshakes.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:50 AM

all the above!

I've had a few really good Craiglist sales, but each time, there was phone conversations and email exchanged leading up to a meeting.

That helped me feel reasonably sure the buyers were legit.

I may have missed it, but a lot of times people will meet in the parking lot of a local Police Station. That seems smart to me.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM

I buy and sell on CL quite a bit. Here are some things that may help you. Works for me.

Always keep all communication through CL email initially. Ask for contact info (cell) in your reply. Typically if they switch to text from email and send thought out texts/emails you are usually dealing with a actual buyer. Lay out times you are available (limit the choices) and get a commitment on time. I like to make my sales in daylight hours and I meet at convenient parking lots (close to freeway, safe, lots of people).

Always drop the cell # of the buyer into a search engine. About half the time it will come back with the persons name and the area they live.

Once they are on the way give them a description of your car and ask for theirs. If they are free with the information you usually will be fine. Show the item at your vehicle - they come to you. Cash only.

One last thing - Negotiate everything upfront before you meet. Agree on a price, when you will meet, that they are paying cash or trade. This will weed out the flaky buyers. Then its just a quick inspection and swapping of the item for cash.

If you get a weird feeling during any of the first steps just cease communication and wait for a better buyer.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:23 PM

ill say this much, if your concerned about safety, follow the rules, your not going to get a dash of buyers anyway, however if i was a buyer- and you wanted cash in a public place- id tell you right now find another buyer,- as i buyer, i want to try it and hear it, not deal in a parking lot, period
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
ill say this much, if your concerned about safety, follow the rules, your not going to get a dash of buyers anyway, however if i was a buyer- and you wanted cash in a public place- id tell you right now find another buyer,- as i buyer, i want to try it and hear it, not deal in a parking lot, period
That's your prerogative. I sell frequently on CL and I'm not letting a total stranger in my house, especially during a pandemic. I have both sold and bought at public places successfully with good result.

Everyone is comfortable with different things. I'm a washed up, but highly trained fighter that specialized in self defense and I always err on the side of caution.

My ideal deal: Cash only, price already established, public place, Name and description of person I'm meeting & their vehicle, 2nd person with me in the car in case things go awry.

W/pandemic I would add - mask and sanitize hands after handling the money.

Be safe, not sorry. Best of luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-07-2020, 06:48 PM

no need to welcome open arms into your living room, you can set up in the garage or porch, sure i sold a lot on CL and even met, but ill bet you never bought a guitar or an amp from a parking lot, how would the buyer know its not even stolen?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-08-2020, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
no need to welcome open arms into your living room, you can set up in the garage or porch, sure i sold a lot on CL and even met, but ill bet you never bought a guitar or an amp from a parking lot, how would the buyer know its not even stolen?
Personally I don't buy or sell used guitars, but years ago I traded extensively in horse saddles and tack professionally. But that was a different time and different world .

The only thing I have sold on GL is small utility trailer BUT it was from the local Wall Mart parking lot.

And while you do however mention some interesting issues, I think most are relatively easily solved .

And I am of the notion (that in todays world) having strangers over to house, porch or garage, is a toss of the dice at best , and while most times probably not an issue, still carries unnecessary potential risk element.

As someone mentioned a small portable battery powered amp would solve the audition issue.
And a sales receipt would solve the stolen question, to some extent (for which I always required of used sellers) and even provided to the seller for used purchases I made (if they did not have one) even if only hand written, dated, and signed.
And when selling I am not sure why I would be concerned if the buyer "knows" if is stolen or not, because I know.
Just my thought's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-08-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 AM

I have purchased 4 guitars in the last 6 months and each transaction was done in a parking lot. I felt completely comfortable as did the sellers. The social distancing part was awkward but not much can be done there. I tested the electronics with a Blackstar Fly amp. I also have a really cheap headphone amp that I bring as a backup but never needed it.

Regarding the "how do you know it's not stolen" comments. You don't. That's just the nature of the beast. You just have to do your best to read the situation.

CL buying and selling isn't for everyone but it works fine for those that choose to use it.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:09 AM

Some local police stations actually have meeting places for exchanges, check with yours.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
That's a bet you would lose. I have bought a Squier Strat in the parking lot of a police department. Brought a battery powered amp to test it's function. How can you know whether something is stolen just by being in a carport or porch? You can't. I know this - I doubt a thief would insist on meeting me in a police parking lot, ya know?

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-08-2020, 05:37 PM

the only usable fact i got out if all this was the one post saying, buying and selling on CL isnt for everyone
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-10-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
the only usable fact i got out if all this was the one post saying, buying and selling on CL isnt for everyone
It was pretty clear by post #7 that you'd made up your mind. Thanks for the update though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars