The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Default McPherson travel guitar

I am this close to buying a McPherson travel guitar. It is beautiful and sounds amazing. The only thing that is holding me back is the short scale. I tried a CA Cargo and had to return it because it had a very low volume ceiling. I think the McPherson has a much higher ceiling.

I am curious if anyone can comment from experience whether I would be disappointed by how quiet the McPherson would be. Thanks.

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 06-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Default McPherson travel guitar

CF’s are the ultimate travel guitar but they are expensive and short scale. My travel guitar is a Voyage-Air VAD04. Spruce top, laminated sides, very durable and the best part is that it fits in a backpack. Very airline friendly plus full scale and half of the price of a CF.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 06-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:01 PM

I happen to have both for some reason...never played them higher than my head... anyway... both about the same loudness / quietness .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Are you buying it new and can return it? I think if the short scale bothered you on cargo its gonna bother you on Mcpherson as well. I owned both at different times, but as far as I remember one was not louder than the other.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:51 PM

I know that using medium strings on the cargo helped increase its volume. I’m wondering if using baritone strings would improve the volume on the McPherson. Or am I crazy to even consider it?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
Or am I crazy to even consider it?

All I can type is Hmmmmmm?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

The McPherson and the Cargo are the same scale (22.75"). I played a McPherson Touring last year and didn't notice that it seemed quiet... although it is a small guitar, and I wasn't expecting it to be loud. It is a nice guitar.

Another new entry in the small(ish) carbon fiber guitar market would be the new redesigned Emerald X7 (just unveiled this weekend). It is bigger in most dimensions than the previous X7, has a 24" scale, and is now a 12-fret with a redesigned cutaway and no heel on the neck. I have a 2 year old X7 that I prefer over the Cargo or the Touring... I would think the new version will be more of what makes the X7 so nice.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
T I would think the new version will be more of what makes the X7 so nice.
I agree with this ... if I was an agreeable type that is.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:08 PM

I have played the Touring model McPherson a good bit and I wouldn’t say it lacks volume. I haven’t played the new X7, but I owned one before and it didn’t have the volume that the Touring model has. Good guitar and they can be found at good prices. But they don’t quite compete with the Touring model in my opinion.

This might be a stupid question, but are you looking at this guitar because it’s travel sized? They have the full size Sable.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I had a touring. In my opinion it very much needs mediums to drive the top. So if you are ok with medium gauge strings then it is an outstanding guitar. If lights are a must then i would suggest trying a blackbird savoy.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 AM

The RainSong Parlor is not much larger and has the volume/tone of a full sized guitar. In a Gator 3/4 case it is small enough to carry on a plane with out attracting attention (I pay for early boarding). Much smaller in a gig bag but a case will easily survive a gate check on a smaller prop plane.

https://cms.dot.gov/airconsumer/fina...al-instruments

And a picture or two (TKL Dreadnought case for comparison):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...FJPM0R4djFETXc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...3U4V0JsWmVmRGc
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 AM

The finish on the McPherson side and back pretty much does not slip.... nice and I like it, if that helps.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The finish on the McPherson side and back pretty much does not slip.... nice and I like it, if that helps.

I agree. That was one thing I loved about the touring.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
I am this close to buying a McPherson travel guitar. It is beautiful and sounds amazing. The only thing that is holding me back is the short scale. I tried a CA Cargo and had to return it because it had a very low volume ceiling. I think the McPherson has a much higher ceiling.

I am curious if anyone can comment from experience whether I would be disappointed by how quiet the McPherson would be. Thanks.
You are correct that the McPherson touring has a much higher volume ceiling. It is as loud as a full-scale wooden guitar. I loved my touring (McPherson replaced mine with a Sable eventually). Love my Sable even more.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks all, for your input. I'm going to play it this afternoon and make a decision about it. I need to find a quiet place where I can put it through its paces in isolation.

I have a CA Ox and, living in Minnesota, I appreciate the hardiness of carbon fiber. I didn't have GAS until a new guitar store opened in my neighborhood and they had a few McPhersons. After playing them, I started GASing for one. I figure I'd sell my CA and a Taylor 12 string that I don't ever play to finance it.

That is, if it proves to be as versatile as I hope it to be. The Sable they have is a cannon, but also more expensive. I may take a serious look at that one as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber