The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Blackbird Savoy vs Rider Steel String

I've seen some commentary on the new Savoy but I haven't seen much comparing it to the Rider.

They're really similar in dimensions: the Rider is 35.5 x 10.5 x 4.25 and the Savoy is 36x13.5x4.25

I love my steel string rider - I really like the sound I can get out of it and how resonant it is. I mostly fingerpick.

I was curious about the Savoy because it seems to be almost exactly the same length and depth but has a wider body with a lower bout and a sound hole which ticks a few boxes for me. Really my biggest (only?) complaint about the rider is the neck up device - I always feel like I'm tilting the guitar backwards and it's a little awkward if you're not sitting perfectly upright.

I'm used to playing smaller-bodied guitars (I have a Gibson Keb Mo, a Rider, and an OF660)

I'm mostly curious to know if the Savoy has the same resonance factor the Rider has and if it has more/less bass. From the videos I have seen, it seems to be louder and have slightly more bass response. I doubt I'd replace the Rider so I'm hoping it has a broader spectrum or some tonal differences to justify adding one.

I've also been chasing after a Lucky 13 - but I'm thinking I might prefer the cutaway on the Savoy if the sound is close enough.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the rambling thread!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Guest 928

Candyman;

I can't answer your question, but I do have a few comments.

The Rider was a stunning creation. I had the nylon version and, at the time, it came the closest to sounding a like a traditional classical guitar in both projection and tonal qualities. Unfortunately, I never felt comfortable in holding The rider and passed it along.

You may have difficulty finding someone who has both the Rider and the Savoy, the rider is no longer made and the Savoy is fresh from the creator.

You might try asking forum members if anyone near you has the Savoy and would be willing to let you drop by and give it a run. This has worked for several people and might work for you. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 AM

Hi Mr. C,

I have owned both and currently a Savoy owner and lover. Rider is a minimalist dream but ultimately never took to the shape similar to Evan and others. I passed it along and feel that the Savory meets all my playing needs. I have given up trying to air travel for business with a guitar. Air travel is no longer a civilized method of travel so the rider is no longer appealing for air travel. If you like the rider you will love the Savoy!!!

Please note that your milage may vary.. ;-)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Candyman;
Unfortunately, I never felt comfortable in holding The rider and passed it along.
This is kind of where I am right now - thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Mr. C,

I have owned both and currently a Savoy owner and lover. Rider is a minimalist dream but ultimately never took to the shape similar to Evan and others. I passed it along and feel that the Savory meets all my playing needs. I have given up trying to air travel for business with a guitar. Air travel is no longer a civilized method of travel so the rider is no longer appealing for air travel. If you like the rider you will love the Savoy!!!

Please note that your milage may vary.. ;-)
Thanks for the insight - so the lower bout on the Savoy is 'normal' - i.e. no gadgets required to sit and play it comfortably?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post
This is kind of where I am right now - thanks for your input.

Thanks for the insight - so the lower bout on the Savoy is 'normal' - i.e. no gadgets required to sit and play it comfortably?
The Savoy is a normal guitar and would argue that if you did not know it was eKoa you would think it was a high end wood guitar in all aspects of sound and play.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
The Savoy is a normal guitar and would argue that if you did not know it was eKoa you would think it was a high end wood guitar in all aspects of sound and play.
Agreed. Ekoa looks like mahogany or plain grades of koa. I played the Rider as couple of years ago. It sounds really good and travels well, but it needs a strap or a Neck-Up device. But since I play everything with a strap these days, that was a wash. Already having a Lucky 13, I enjoyed trying the Savoy in Phoenix, but I'm not really lusting for one.

As for the cutaway on the Savoy, the Lucky 13 has no neck heel and joins the body at the 13th fret. I have no trouble at all reaching frets 15-17, even without a cutaway.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 AM

The Rider is an amazing instrument that sounds much better than it would seem to have a right to. But I too struggled with the shape. For me, the only reason now to get the Rider over the Savoy would be space considerations in the overhead of a plane, in the berth of a sailboat, or locker of an RV. If you are not restricted in room, get the Savoy.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

For those who have played both, does the Savoy have a different neck profile than the rider?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-01-2018, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I have owned both. The neck profiles are pretty much identical imop. I found the rider (with the neck up) to be more comfortable than the savoy. I actually would play the savoy with neck up also because it liked to slide off my leg. I owned both and regret selling the rider. If I was going to buy again I would buy one of teds rider plus. It’s the nylon rider body but with steel strings.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I have owned both. The neck profiles are pretty much identical imop. I found the rider (with the neck up) to be more comfortable than the savoy. I actually would play the savoy with neck up also because it liked to slide off my leg. I owned both and regret selling the rider. If I was going to buy again I would buy one of teds rider plus. It’s the nylon rider body but with steel strings.
Does the Savoy sound fuller than the rider? That seems to be the feedback from other owners.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

It’s definitely fuller and louder. The savoy can also handle strumming better than the rider.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Hi,
I own both the Rider, in it's two versions, and the Savoy. The neck is the same for both Rider and Savoy. The Savoy gets more of my play time now but I still love my Rider.
Barb
Old 06-11-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to Bry and Barb for the feedback on the the guitars' necks. If there were one thing I could change on my Rider, it would be the neck profile. Since there is no difference between the two models, I'm perfectly happy to continue loving the Rider.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber