The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
Maybe. However the Yamaha was my grandfather’s. Unfortunately, it was kept in a hot garage for years and has some issues. Even if I got it in working order I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it out in Nashville bars.
Oh I see, hold on to that one. I'm a singer, player who plays the same type
of music as you. Both of my guitars are mahogany, spruce.
Gibson J45
Guild D-40
Do check the models Wade suggested, I think I'll try one of those 28s
Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Rex,

* I'm a full-time solo singer/songwriter/performer and don't use loopers or tracks; I plug straight in and thus depend on two hands, one voice and one heart to be dynamic and fill out my sound. ...my Martin D-18's full, warm, yet articulate and balanced signature is a good accompaniment instrument for my tenorish voice and covers virtually all styles well imo.

** It also records excellent for my own videos and stuff as well as the session work on other artist's cd's I've used it on. ...may I add that I also use a Martin 000-18 as well that has pretty much the same characteristics in a smaller package, the re-voiced 18's just work for me. However, everyone's style, voice and attack are different, but you can count on a D-18 to be a very versatile model.

*** This has been my experience with the D-18 that I bonded with. I found it inspiring to write on etc... I don't know if you can gleen anything helpful from this, but hopefully you'll find an instrument that fits uniquely to you; many good prospects like J-45, D-35 etc...

**** Here's a plugged in live sample...I usually get a warmer tone, however, in this venue I'm boxed in an all wood tiny stage and low-mids resonate remarkably, so I had to back them off more than usual this nite...but like I said this guitar doesn't get in the way and each note blossoms nicely imo.

***** Here's the 000-18 unplugged, tho rough vox on a Monday morn after a week of giggin' ...same wonderfully warm yet clear characteristics imo.

****** Lastly, here's my D-18 unplugged, simple camera recording:

Best wishes in your search,

eric

Last edited by noledog; 04-16-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
Gordon Lightfoot had a pretty good career with his D-18.

Ya beat me to it. But, yes, he played one a lot. And it sounded great. The D35, with it's strong bass and low midrange makes a great singer/song writer guitar.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Default D-18 for singer/songwriter?

Why not...?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Why not...?
Well the way I see it, Martin Dreadnoughts are usually meant to be loud bluegrass guitars. Loud enough to be flatpicked over banjos. Not necessarily the same thing as a guitar for a solo folk/country performer. But they sound great and George Gruhn probably knows more about guitars than anyone on the planet.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Eric....great Christ Stapleton cover! I play that one too and love it. And you nailed it!Also play "Give Thanks" a lot at a blended service...really well done brother! Thanks for sharing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

...like pretty much everyone here I have heard a whole lot of "singer songwriters" and I don't recall ever thinking that the musician I was listening to would sound better if they were playing a D-18 as opposed to a D-28...plenty of great players have sounded good with either one...I do appreciate the straightforward tone of a mahogany guitar and they certainly work well for the singer songwriters of the world...(I currently have four of them and have owned four d-18's over the years)...

....what I do think is important is that you find a guitar that you love to play and allows you to concentrate on singing your song..if that's a d-18 cool...if it's something else that's cool too....that said if I was limited to one guitar for the rest of my life a D-18 would be a strong contender...

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-17-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Eric....great Christ Stapleton cover! I play that one too and love it. And you nailed it!Also play "Give Thanks" a lot at a blended service...really well done brother! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you much Jim! ...I do Broken Halos too. btw bro, I was reading your earlier posts on Prewar guitars since you got me thinkin' 'bout 'em the other day!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey...you road trip up the coast and you can play mine anytime. They are great guitars...just let me know!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
Well the way I see it, Martin Dreadnoughts are usually meant to be loud bluegrass guitars. Loud enough to be flatpicked over banjos. Not necessarily the same thing as a guitar for a solo folk/country performer. But they sound great and George Gruhn probably knows more about guitars than anyone on the planet.
Well there's also Walter Carter...but I digress.

I think that generalization is way over-hyped. Gruhn knows his stuff for sure. But there's plenty of proof that - in the right hands - guitars that are supposedly "meant" for one style can still certainly be used successfully for another.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Hey...you road trip up the coast and you can play mine anytime. They are great guitars...just let me know!
& = & ...thanks bro!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hi Rex,

* I'm a full-time solo singer/songwriter/performer and don't use loopers or tracks; I plug straight in and thus depend on two hands, one voice and one heart to be dynamic and fill out my sound. ...my Martin D-18's full, warm, yet articulate and balanced signature is a good accompaniment instrument for my tenorish voice and covers virtually all styles well imo.

** It also records excellent for my own videos and stuff as well as the session work on other artist's cd's I've used it on. ...may I add that I also use a Martin 000-18 as well that has pretty much the same characteristics in a smaller package, the re-voiced 18's just work for me. However, everyone's style, voice and attack are different, but you can count on a D-18 to be a very versatile model.

*** This has been my experience with the D-18 that I bonded with. I found it inspiring to write on etc... I don't know if you can gleen anything helpful from this, but hopefully you'll find an instrument that fits uniquely to you; many good prospects like J-45, D-35 etc...

**** Here's a plugged in live sample...I usually get a warmer tone, however, in this venue I'm boxed in an all wood tiny stage and low-mids resonate remarkably, so I had to back them off more than usual this nite...but like I said this guitar doesn't get in the way and each note blossoms nicely imo.

***** Here's the 000-18 unplugged, tho rough vox on a Monday morn after a week of giggin' ...same wonderfully warm yet clear characteristics imo.

****** Lastly, here's my D-18 unplugged, simple camera recording:

Best wishes in your search,

eric
Noledog, that's some great singing and picking! Love the D-18 too
Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 PM

For purely practical purposes, I'll just mention that it's easier to lean over a smaller guitar than a dread, when you need to write down a few lyrics or notes and the paper is on the table.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
For purely practical purposes, I'll just mention that it's easier to lean over a smaller guitar than a dread, when you need to write down a few lyrics or notes and the paper is on the table.

That’s why I have a 000-18 instead of a D-18. Just a little bit smaller without really losing too much of the bigger brother’s sound.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Noledog, that's some great singing and picking! Love the D-18 too
Thank you Placida for your kind words! ...I enjoy both these 18's, however, I favor the D more overall over the 000, but not by much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ceo 7, d18, martin, singer, songwriter