The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2002, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up 510 owners

I really enjoy my 510. Its got a great sound from highs to lows and is very well balanced. The englemen top and mahogany back and sides make for one beautiful, great sounding instrument. I dont hear very many folks mention the 510 and was wondering if any body else has one? I"d like to hear about it!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 02-09-2002, 09:51 AM

Hi, I have a 510ce and absolutely love it. It is wonderfully balanced, sounds gorgeous when finger picked (really shines, they say dreads are for strummers but this is a beautiful thing to hear), AND full and wonderful when strummed. I like to strum hard sometimes, and some Taylors buzz when I try them out. Not his one, this one is very special.

I like fancy inlays and things, and I wished my guitar had them. So I ordered a couple of fancy treatments for my 510ce. My signature engraved on a TRC and a very pretty mother of pearl inlayed pickguard. Look under the anything goes secton for a thread called bagelsgirls new pickguard and check it out.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:32 AM

2000 510e owner here. I love the guitar! Just something about that engleman and mahagony combo that fits so well.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:37 PM

I've had my 510 for about a year, picking up a 414RCE and a K14c during that period.....I was wondering whether the 510 would get played after the K14C came home, but not to worry...the mahogany/englemann is crisper than the koa/cedar, and the X10 is more versatile...like Bagelsgirl, I fingerpick and flatpick it, and it does both equally well.....the 414 has a more "martin-ish" sound with the sitka/rosewood, plus is a CE, so if I need a plug-in guitar, it's the one (open mikes, etc.)so, the 510 gets out of the case plenty, as do the other two. Just yesterday, I had everyone out and played them based on which songs they were suited for...everybody got their turns...if I could only have one guitar, and had to play a wide range of music/styles, it would be the 510. Fortunately, I am not under that restiction.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:42 PM

If you want to hear a 510 in action, pick up Steve Poltz-One Left Shoe. Great tone. (He is also known a Jewels ex-boyfriend...I think he is in the "You were meant for Me" Video. He used to tour with her as her opening act and rhythm guitarist...he may still do it.)
Old 02-09-2002, 09:23 PM

Count me in too with a 510c. I would have categorized myself as mostly a strummer when I purchased it which is why I went with the dread body but as i've delved more into fingerstyle the 510 has followed right along nicely. Great note separation and projection on a strum and really articulate with the fingers. In short, it does what a mahogany dread is mean't to do and is quite versatile for things that smaller bodies are good for as well.

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 02-09-2002, 09:53 PM

I really like my 510(noC noE) just a plain great simple guitar. JW
Old 02-09-2002, 10:05 PM

I"ve been thinking of dressing up my 510 [no c no e also] Rick Crider has a couple of TRC of which I REALLY like the bocote one and I"ve seen baglesgirls pickguard, very nice I might add! Ebony tuning buttons are cool and oh I dont know maybe an arm rest? I dont want to go overboard. Actually, I think the 510 is great just the way it is. But I do want to add my own touch!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 02-16-2002, 01:59 AM

I've had my 510 for a few months now, and a couple of weeks ago I got my dream guitar, a Santa Cruz D/PW. But, I still find myself playing the 510 at least as often as the Cruz. Mine's a 97 and it has a Fishman installed, so I use that whenever I need to plug in. What else can I say? I like it a lot!
Old 02-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I am now a new 510 owner (2000, no C, Baggs dual source, ebony buttons) - for an idea as to what I think of it, check out my post called "Just got my new 510!" or something along those lines- for a preview or hint, ill offer you this -

YEE HAW!!!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 03-02-2002, 07:59 PM

Although, I am not a 510 owner, my friend is a proud owner of a 92 510 BS. The BS stands for Black Stained but to me it looks more like a dark navy. So about this guitar, it`s the best sounding guitar I have ever come across. There is alot of bass compared to the traditional bright Taylor sound. It's not muddy and has nice clear high end to it too. It's almost ten years old but still smells nice. I can smell it whenever I play it. I think the mahogany sound is better than rosewood. My other friend has the 810, that guitar sounds jangly to me. The loudness is there but more midrange and that`s about it. I have played other 810`s and to me I haven`t come across one that justifies the price.

Eventually, I bought a Larrivee d 05E for the mahogany sound. It has the bass and the brightness, plus the price was much more competitive. Also it was easier to find that sound in Larrivee`s compared to the general brightness in Taylors. The only thing is probably the action that Taylor has is missing.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:28 PM

Could be wrong but I was under the impression BS stood for brazilian/Sitka. I really want to know cause Ive never seen a Black 510. Special edition? JW
Old 03-03-2002, 01:40 AM

I recently found out what BS stands for. My friends 510 has the BS next to the seriel number inside the guitar so I was wondering what it stood for. I posted if anyone knew on this site and someone said probably Brazilian/ stika but wasn`t sure so I called Taylor and they told me black stained top, sides and back. The wood is the same as other 510s which is Spruce top, Mahogany sides and back and I think they told me that 30 was made in 91.

Last edited by LarriveeD05E; 03-03-2002 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:52 PM

I bought my first Taylor in 1995 and it was a 510. Of course I still have it and it remains one of my favorites. It has opened up quite a bit over the past 7 years to become even more of a cannon and I'm sure it will continue to do so even more as time goes by.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification