The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Default PreSonus Audiobox inputs

I'm looking at buying the PreSonus Audiobox but something has me wondering if it's going to work for me.

I used to have a Lexicon Omega USB audio interface and I had success plugging in a mic and my guitar, with JJB Electronics Prestige 330, passive, pickups.

I read some reviews on Guitar Center's website for the Presonus product and one of them mentioned that when they plugged in a line level instrument, i.e. guitar or piano (in their words), they got some background noise.

I don't have much understanding of all this stuff but is a passive pickup system considered a line level device? If so, what should I be looking for when it comes to something to plug my guitar into to avoid having the kind of problems mentioned in that one review?

I understand that maybe the reviewer just had their own problems but they said they called PreSonus and got this response: "well if you're running a line level signal into a balanced input you will get some noise". Is this a true statement?

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 AM

I’m glad you brought this up. Probably like you, I am still looking out for more help/replies/opinion on this same topic. I'm a newbie to this among everything else!

Had the chance to listen to a few instrumental recordings namely guitar, violin, electronic harp using this system and they were actually good to my newbie ears. Guitar Ctr had shortly demo’d it to a few of us amateur spectators with a digital keyboard, to me it sounded pristine. Reviews have shown they’re not bad with vocals either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD