The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Small recorder for 2 track recording (simul.)

Okay, another newbie question that will probably tie into some of the other current threads here, but my main question is this:

Which small digital recorders (Zoom, Edirol, etc) have the capability to record two tracks simultaneously? I'm looking to dedicate one track for vocals and another for acoustic guitar.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM

The units you mentioned, in fact everything above the simplest voice/note/dictation recorder records two tracks simultaneously.

But this doesn't mean you'll have any luck recording separate tracks for guitar and vocals. Many of these units use two omni-directional mics. And those that have directional mics will rarely exhibit enough separation using their built-in mics.

And even if they did, you'd have an odd sounding recording, with voice coming out of one speaker and instrument out of the other.

In other words, there are a lot of issues to consider to achieve your stated goal.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks a lot Fran. What I'm hoping to find is a recorder that I can plug an external mic into for vocals and, at the same time, have a separate "line in" input for guitar. Or, instead, use the built-in mic for one of the above.

thanks
Scott
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EScottG View Post
Thanks a lot Fran. What I'm hoping to find is a recorder that I can plug an external mic into for vocals and, at the same time, have a separate "line in" input for guitar. Or, instead, use the built-in mic for one of the above.
Hi Scott…
Zoom H4 will do that...and will even provide up to 48v phantom to the XLR for a condenser mic.

You can use the software program to separate the tracks later to process them individually.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

I think you're looking for the Boss micro br, it's a four track studio with drum machine, line input and separate mic in. I believe it would do exactly what you want and more. I don't have one, I have a tascam dr07, it does actually do useful stereo recordings but not to 'separate track' level of separation.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EScottG View Post

thanks
Scott
Check out the Boss BR600. Does exactly that, and much, much more. I have one, and love it. I keep thinking about upgrading to something with more simultaneous inputs and built-in CD, but most of my home recording is just me, with overdubs of me playing various other instruments and/or vocals. One minor shortcoming is the lack of phantom power for condenser mics, but that's easily and cheaply solved with an external phantom power supply.

Another similar unit is the Tascam DP02CF, or the more expensive DP02 (hard disk and CD/DVD built in). I'd have one of these if I didn't already have and like the BR600.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

As was mentioned above, the Zoom H4 has a multi track mode, and two built in XLR inputs for external mics. So you could record a guitar track, then listen to it in the headphones while you overdub vocals. Or you could plug in two mics at the same time, one for your guitar and one for your voice. I am quite happy with my Zoom H4.

Anton
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
As was mentioned above, the Zoom H4 has a multi track mode, and two built in XLR inputs for external mics. So you could record a guitar track, then listen to it in the headphones while you overdub vocals. Or you could plug in two mics at the same time, one for your guitar and one for your voice. I am quite happy with my Zoom H4.

Anton
How good are the internal mics compared to the H2?

www.soundcloud.com/johnhicks
www.americansongspace.com/johnhicks

Grazin' in the herd: Gibson J45, Martin SWOMGT, Fender Lite Ash Tele, Gretsch 5120
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleehrat View Post
How good are the internal mics compared to the H2?
Hi SR…
As good or better (depending on whom you talk with). I own an H4 (old one) and an H2, and I don't hear a difference in quality.

If you go here and read my notes as you play files, you can find examples of internal mic recordings with both, and some with external mics and some with direct plug from the preamp...

I marked the files pretty well with which recorder and guitar I used...and there are dozens of samples there...

My stuff - click

For simple point-n-shoot I recommend the H2, if you need external mics and multi-track capability the H4. Otherwise they work the same.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM

MF has a deal today on a cool Tascam recorder that take two inputs. Has knobs like the old portastudio cassette recorders.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupi...&CJPID=1571798
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi SR…
As good or better (depending on whom you talk with). I own an H4 (old one) and an H2, and I don't hear a difference in quality.

If you go here and read my notes as you play files, you can find examples of internal mic recordings with both, and some with external mics and some with direct plug from the preamp...

I marked the files pretty well with which recorder and guitar I used...and there are dozens of samples there...

My stuff - click

For simple point-n-shoot I recommend the H2, if you need external mics and multi-track capability the H4. Otherwise they work the same.

Not only do these files sound great but they are exactly the kind of refrence recordings I have been looking for to get a sense of the Zoom units (as opposed to Moon Units). A treat to listen to and a great service to those of us trying to decide.

www.soundcloud.com/johnhicks
www.americansongspace.com/johnhicks

Grazin' in the herd: Gibson J45, Martin SWOMGT, Fender Lite Ash Tele, Gretsch 5120
Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Check out the Boss BR600. Does exactly that, and much, much more. I have one, and love it. I keep thinking about upgrading to something with more simultaneous inputs and built-in CD, but most of my home recording is just me, with overdubs of me playing various other instruments and/or vocals. One minor shortcoming is the lack of phantom power for condenser mics, but that's easily and cheaply solved with an external phantom power supply.
Agreed! I have the same thing. The built in mics sound pretty doggone good. I usually record guitar and then vocals and then add any fills or harmonies afterward. The mastering effects on it work great. For $350, there isn't a field recorder that can touch it. I've tried the Zoom H2 and H4 and H4N and they don't compare at all for home recording.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[SIZE="2"

[/SIZE]
The H2 also has an input for an external mic - I sometimes use the little stereo mic that came with my old Sony Minidisc recorder. The H2 is so small and mounts on a mic stand for easy live applications.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
The H2 also has an input for an external mic - I sometimes use the little stereo mic that came with my old Sony Minidisc recorder. The H2 is so small and mounts on a mic stand for easy live applications.
Hi Ray…
It also mounts on a camera tripod (even easier).

So did you think the Sony mic was superior to the internal mics of the H2 (which I find quite nice actually)?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 AM

Scott,

I also have the H4 and it really is convenient and small. You can use the stereo mics or the XLR inputs and change the record smapling quality. Then dwnld to your computer for editing.

Mines prob a cple yrs old and not sure what's new out there.

Betrcha cld get a used one fairly cheap tho. Here's used at Amazon;

Zoom H4 Handy Recorder by Zoom
2 used from $265.00

4.2 out of 5 stars (141)

Happy Notes man.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD